Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Controlling the daily cash/check management, supporting the project accounting staff, overseeing and preparing the projects books in accordance with the Finance Manager’s instructions and MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to provide accurate, reliable and updated financial information.
- Controlling the daily cash and check management and ensuring that all receipts and documentation meet MSF requirements (procedures, deadlines, information, signatures …). Tracking bills/vouchers, invoices and other running costs and analysing the related information (costs, service contracts …) in order to give reliable and updated information.
- Controlling cash advances and cashbook movements for each petty cash box, recording all IN and Out transactions, ensuring that cashbox balances always reflect the actual amount of money kept in the cashboxes and investigating any discrepancy. Ensuring strict compliance with cash control procedures for each cashbox / currency (daily cash control, weekly cash inventory and reconciliations)
- Being responsible for the processing of accounting software peripheral accounting (project and capital) including checking the quality of the mission accounting allocations and their conformity (correct encoding of salaries, following up and matching of internal transfers and advances in the mission, checking invoices and their allocations, preparing payment order documents to be sent to HQ). Analysing the problems of the cash box discrepancies and giving technical help to find solutions.
- Being responsible for filing accounting documents and their annexes, preparing documents for audits, organizing the scanning of documents and archiving mission financial documents.
- Performing currency exchange operations in accordance with the country’s exchange rate policy
- Ensuring a monthly account report in accordance with MSF procedures, checking individual entries and preparing the necessary administrative documents (originals) as a basis for justification and explanation of payments and receipts made.
- Preparing the timely payment of taxes .
Context Specific Accountabilities
- Cash box management and ensuring that all invoices, receipts and documentation meet MSF requirements (procedures, deadlines, information, signatures, etc.).
- Encoding Cash and bank entries in Unifield.
- Cover the functions of the Accounting Manager / Finco Assistant in coordination if there is need.
- Organizing the scanning of documents and archiving mission financial documents, ensuring proper filing of accounting documents.
- Assist the Accounting Manager with preparation of yearly audit requirements.
- Responsible for remitting all statutory Contributions to all government offices.
- Ensuring strict compliance with cash control procedures for each cashbox / currency (daily cash control, weekly cash inventory and reconciliations)
- Periodically traveling to project locations to support the finance teams or/and gap filling if there is need.
- Involved in progressive training of the field teams.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- B.Sc in Accounting / Finance / Business Administration
- Professional qualification Professional qualification such as ACA. ACCA, ICAN, CFA etc.
- Knowledge of financial management systems, accounting policies and standards, tax management, cost accounting, Budgeting and planning, etc.
- In administration and accountability (minimum of 2 years).
- Knowledge of Unifield Accounting package or any other similar ERP
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel databases and MS Office (Outlook, Word)
- Prior work experience with an INGO would be beneficial.
Note: This job description may be amended in line with the activities or evolution of the Mission.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Candidates should submit their application, including cover letter, resume and copy of relevant certificates via the link above.
- Please note this is an online Application only and only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Dual Employment is considered as a gross misconduct, as per MSF Belgium Internal Regulations (IR) and hence not acceptable.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next recruitment steps.
- MSF reserves the right to cancel any step or whole of the process at any stage of recruitment.
- The vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria
Application Deadline 8th June, 2022.