The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
Job ID: R899
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full time
- The Regional Accountant is responsible for assisting the Regional Accounting Manager with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MSH and ultimately of the donor against fraud, loss or misuse
- The Regional Accountant is responsible for ensuring that all transactions are entered accurately and timely into Quickbooks in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MSH accounting policies and procedures, and donor requirements
- The Accountant is aware of, and adheres to, MSH’s ethical conduct and procurement integrity standards in all activities.
MSH Business Systems Support (50%):
- Maintain the QBO regional management unit helpdesk platform ensuring timely quality response to QBO users in field offices
- Provide timely troubleshooting support to QBO users in field offices.
- Manage Data Security
- Ensure QBO closed periods are locked in line with MSH finance procedures
- Ensure timely set up of HQ accounting approved MSH QBO Chart of accounts (COA) in QBO system
- With guidance from the manager, Support field office accounting teams in creating and setting up unique sub-accounts in QBO for advance accounts, prepayment accounts, withholding tax accounts etc
- Maintain an up to-date centralized CP COA and QBO COA mapping list
- With guidance from the manager, create tailored QBO custom reports for accounting reporting and analysis to support FO analysis i.e. trend reports, aged reports, analysis by project and COA.
Capacity Building (10%):
- Support training programs as assigned by the line manager.
Financial Analysis and KPIs (20%):
- Perform regular spot checks of Field Offices’ QBO transactions identifying and addressing with the FO accountants all errors, mis-postings, missing documentations and other exceptions
- Perform monthly reconciliation between QBO and CP Trial balances ensuring exceptions are flagged timely to the FO accountants. The Field office Accountants will empower FO accountants to run and reconcile their own accounts in QBO and CP.
Treasury Management (10%):
- Maintain regular and robust filing for the Regional Management Unit (RMU)
- Perform bank reconciliations for RMU controlled countries (Countries RMU provides Accounts Payable and direct accounting support)
- Maintain the FO Fund Request Smart Sheet Tracker i.e. maintaining correct account detail information, sending notifications to FOs, consolidating the fund requests, performing analysis of cash balances versus cash requested etc.
Inventory Management (10%):
- Perform regular analysis of QBO asset information and Inventory items reported in the registers and identify exceptions for FO management action
- Support Inventory system admin as guided by the manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience as an accountant in a similar work organization
- Prior work experience with U. S. Government and non-USG, foundations, or other donors.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in the use of accounting software (QuickBooks preferred)
- Job description: Accountant Good account reconciliation skills, including bank accounts, advance accounts and payroll related liability accounts
- Demonstrated ability to independently analyse balance sheet and expense account transactions and post required adjusting / allocation journal entries
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel), word processing
- Understanding of the tenets of cash control and asset management, and must be able to complete timely and accurate account reconciliations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
- MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status.
- In compliance with U.S. Department of Labor Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act, MSH has developed and maintains an affirmative action program and plan.