Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Activism and Growth Officer
Type: Fixed Term Contract
Contract Duration: 12 months (with the possibility of extension)
Directorate: Amnesty National Office
No of weekly working hours: 40
- To develop, facilitate and implement Amnesty International’s activism and growth strategies, plans and projects nationally. To produce content and coordinate activities and communication outputs designed to grow, engage, retain, and mobilise activists, supporters, and members in Nigeria and the general public.
- To enable active participation of rights holders in campaigning; to increase the participation, engagement, and leadership of young people for human rights impact and to implement Amnesty Nigeria’s Youth strategy and action plan.
- To coordinate, monitor and record the effectiveness of our growth and engagement strategies.
About The Role
- The Activism and Growth officer will develop, facilitate, and implement Amnesty International Nigeria’s activism and growth strategies through the production of content, coordinate activities and communicate outputs designed to grow, engage, retain, and mobilise activists, supporters, and members in Nigeria and the public.
- The suitable candidates must have excellent knowledge of youth activism best practices and tools, engagement patterns and scales, training methodologies and participative approaches.
- Must have strong experience writing and producing engaging human rights content; manage or support the delivery of innovative online activities and identify and collaborate with community groups, partners to organize projects to increase the participation, engagement and leadership of young people and rights holders as a contribution to growth in the constituency for human rights impact.
- Develop and coordinate an effective growth and retention plan for Nigeria aligned to global strategies.
- Implement Amnesty International Nigeria’s Youth Strategy and Action Plan.
- Identify and collaborate with community groups, partners to organize projects to increase the participation, engagement and leadership of young people and rights holders as a contribution to growth in constituency for human rights impact.
- Monitor and document Amnesty International Nigeria’s supporters’ engagements and growth including contributing to acquisition and retention activities aimed at increasing participation of women and youth.
- Work with various teams, to design strategies to grow new online audiences and increase their engagement
- Coordinate the delivery of global supporter journeys for Nigerian audiences, on a range of campaigns, activism, and fundraising opportunities.
- Manage the implementation of new digital technologies and practices around email marketing.
- Contribute to the development of knowledge products (research, training tools, etc.)
- Monitor and evaluate main activities and results and report accordingly using relevant tools.
- Capturing and analysing political, civil society developments and trends, metrics, insights and best practices to continuously improve our activism techniques, and then act with a data-driven approach
- Contribute to the development of programme-wide strategies and plans while integrating gender and youth perspectives in AI’s projects and policies to increase the effectiveness of AI’s human rights work
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work
- Write and produce engaging human rights content primarily for supporter emails, but also for other content types (e.g. adverts, surveys, videos, animations, blogs etc)
- Set up email campaigns, templates and automated emails series that provide supporters and activists with relevant content and activities and optimise the success of email content.
- Project manage or support delivery of innovative online activities, designed to develop supporter’s skills– e.g. online learning, micro-tasking etc.
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties, that are within the employee’s skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed.
- Reporting to: Programmes Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: None
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the media manager and campaigners. West and Central Africa Regional Office (WARO), International Secretariat (IS) particularly the Global supporters’ engagement team, Activism Unit; Regional Activism and Youth coordinators, other sections, activists, supporters and international members.
Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in the Arts, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law, Marketing, Development Studies or related disciplines or related disciplines
- A Master’s Degree is an advantage.
- At least 3 years work experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of a network etc
- Experience in the non-profit/NGO sector, campaigning, is desirable
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to draft and proof-read research, communication and campaign materials tailored to the appropriate audience including through digital channels
- Ability to analyse complex sets of information and reveal trends
- Strong interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude;
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Possess a high level of resilience, is creative and able to be flexible and change orientation as required;
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Good understanding and use of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and multimedia tools like Canva is a plus
- Experience of information management, including the creation and maintenance of electronic databases
- Technology Savvy
- Knowledge and experience working on CRM database systems is desirable
- Knowledge of WordPress, MailChimp or similar tools is desirable
- Ability to use sound judgment and initiative, solve problems and provide constructive inputs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of youth activism best practices and tools, engagement patterns and scales, training methodologies and participative approaches.
- Good knowledge in data analysis and reporting and comfortable analysing and reporting on digital marketing KPIs including conversion and cost metrics.
- Experience of digital marketing with expertise in email marketing desirable
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multi ask and work to deadlines to achieve results;
- Flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This role is based in Nigeria. Only those legally authorized to work in Nigeria are advised to apply for this job.
- There will be a 3-month probation period for all postholders.
- We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
Application Deadline 25th February, 2022.