Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum. Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Location: MMC / Jere LGA, Borno
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Contract Duration: 10 months
Reporting to: CPEiE Team Leader
- Reporting to the CP/EiE Team Lead, under the overall management and technical guidance of the CP/EiE Programme Manager, the Advocacy Officer works with the CP/EiE staff to develop and implement the Tdh organization’s advocacy strategy and develop strategic plans for the agreed advocacy objectives.
- S/He supports the Child advisory group and the advocacy working group in the identification of community-level child protection and education-related concerns and conducts advocacies to relevant government, humanitarian, and/or community stakeholders to address such advocacy concerns.
- S/He collaborates with CP & education actors to jointly advocate for child protection and education issues.
- Support children to identify, prioritize the risks, develop child-led mitigating strategy and ensures the capacity strengthening of the child right advisory group.
- The Advocacy Officer is also responsible for monitoring the implementation of individual strategic objectives and updating these as appropriate.
- S/he oversees public advocacy and media advocacy and messages on organizational interventions.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Conduct stakeholder mapping based on initial information about target audiences, available channels, allies
- Planning and implementation of the advocacy component of the project
- Support the Child advisory group and the advocacy working group in the identification of community-level child protection and education-related concerns and conduct advocacies to relevant government, humanitarian, and/or community stakeholders to address such advocacy concerns.
- Collaborate with CP & education actors to jointly advocate for child protection and education issues
- Support children to identify, prioritize the risks, and develop a child-led mitigating strategy
- Capacity strengthening of the child rights advisory group
- Review and implement a child-led advocacy strategy in collaboration with other humanitarian actors
- Develop success stories, maintain photo gallery, and contribute to the development of newsletter/brochures
- With support from the Programme Manager and the Team Lead, conduct research/assessments/studies on child protection and education issues at community, sub-ward, and ward levels to generate evidence to inform global community practice and policy choices at the national level.
- Develop a communications plan and create a series of communications and advocacy tools showcasing child protection and education in emergencies intervention
- Oversees preparation of a diverse range of information communications products in support of awareness and campaign initiatives
- Provides technical support to the existing child advisory group (and establishes new ones where none existed) and facilitates their linkage with the community-level advocacy working group
- Support the child advisory group to participate in advocacy working group monthly meetings
- Engage humanitarian actors and other stakeholders in the development of the advocacy campaign plan
- Develop and utilize advocacy channels for the organization to achieve relevant advocacy objectives
- Support the design of advocacy strategies and engagement plans in collaboration with the project team
- Coordinate advocacy activities targeting all key stakeholders
- Develop a child protection and education advocacy strategy for 1 year and a work plan and track the progress of objectives and activities
- Update/review the current advocacy strategy and implementation of the proposed activities in collaboration with humanitarian actors and the child rights advisory group
- Develop and continually update child protection and education advocacy briefs to provide updates to stakeholders on relevant activities and accomplishments
- Represent Tdh in relevant governance, planning, and lobby meetings at the ward, sub-ward, state, and federal level
- Undertake communications & campaigns in media outreach to support advocacy strategy
- Assist in the management of advocacy and visibility components of project activities
- Work closely with the advocacy and communication departments at HQ for technical guidance and direction
- Produce reports monthly & quarterly basis on advocacy
- Support outreach and communications with other humanitarian actors and stakeholders
- Conduct sessions/training for the community, child protection, and education staffers, and local authorities to inform understanding about child protection and education in emergencies
- Identify and participate in networks with relevant stakeholders and partners to build strategic relationships on key policy issues and advocacy opportunities including influencing existing child protection and education policies
- Prepare and participate in advocacy missions and meetings
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Programme Manager.
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including Tdh Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety, and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy
- Ensure Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Minimum Standards are mainstreamed through all the programmatic activities
- Commit to ensuring the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or the possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Promote, and ensure project activities are in line with child protection principles and humanitarian principles
- Ensure the project activities are well-integrated into the Northeastern Nigeria child protection system and humanitarian coordination practices and guidelines
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health Law, Law, Social Sciences, Communication, Journalism, International relations, Public Administration or a related field is required
- Minimum of three years of experience conducting advocacy related to child protection and education
Knowledge & skills:
- Previous experience with an INGO is mandatory. Previous experience in advocacy is appreciated. Experience in protection, notably child protection is required.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent spoken Hausa and Kanuri.
- Knowledge of the North East Nigerian context would be an advantage
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking desk-based research, summarizing complex information, and producing advocacy materials.
- Has designed and managed advocacy and campaign initiatives and provided advice to colleagues
- Experience with building partnerships with local authorities, community leaders, and local and state government institutions for the desired policy and advocacy changes.
- Some experience supporting successful relationship-building/awareness‐raising initiatives with stakeholders
- Some experience engaging with local and government authorities, humanitarian actors, and/or related MDAs.
- Strong communication skills, including writing for expert and general audiences and public speaking
- A creative and out-of-the-box thinker, with a demonstrated track record of analytic problem‐solving/seeking solutions to challenges.
- Have a great capacity for organization, synthesis, and report writing
- Strong policy advocacy skills and ability to negotiate and network with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Excellent advocacy, lobbying, and training skills
- Ability to network and function well in a multi-cultural context and work with diverse teams.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 22nd June, 2022.