The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: AUDA / NEPAD Coordinator
Requisition ID: 716
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Reports to: Chairperson
Division: AUDA-NEPAD Unit
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Directorate/Department: AUDA-NEPAD Unit
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the AUDA-NEPAD Unit in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the Unit and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Ensures the operationalization of a functioning interactive network and policy platform on Agenda 2063, bringing together all relevant stakeholders, and which informs continental strategies, frameworks and initiatives.
- Coordinates and monitors the implementation of the decisions of the AUDA-NEPAD in close collaboration with the PRC Sub-Committee on AUDA-NEPAD for their inputs, inclusiveness and adoption prior to reporting to other AU Organs;
- Ensures RECs are well informed on decisions undertaken to avoid any duplication.
- Supervises, coordinates and monitors the implementation of the decisions of the AUDA-NEPAD Coordination Unit.
- Ensures that there is proper Coordination in the Harmonization of the AUC Activities with those of the AUDA-NEPAD.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, International Business, Development studies or relevant studies with twelve (12) years post qualification relevant work experience out of which seven (7) years should be at managerial with five (5) years’ exposure to supervisory role(s).
- Proven experience in Policy Planning, formulation and programme management/coordination.
- Ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between various stakeholders and partners, as well as geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Ability to effectively use the African Monitoring and Evaluation Reporting Tools
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to prepare Budget, Progress Report, Work Plan and present for its adoption
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$26,208.00(per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th Septmber, 2021.