We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Support Lawyer
Location: Kaduna, Lagos and Enugu
ASF France mission in Nigeria
- Active in Nigeria for more than a decade, ASF France is currently implementing human rights project on promoting international human rights standards on anti-torture and death penalty issues. Within the context of these projects, ASF France and its partners provide free legal assistance, conduct trainings and organize awareness and sensitization activities.
- As part of its SAFE project: “Strengthening the national actors’ capacities and Advocating For Ending serious human rights violations in Nigeria”, Avocats Sans Frontières France is seeking to employ a Support Lawyer in Kaduna, Enugu and Lagos Nigeria.
- With legal, technical and financial support from ASF France, the support lawyer will provide free legal assistance to victims of torture, ill-treatment, arbitrary detention and extra-judicial killings and their families in Kaduna state.
- Establish the contact with the prison(s) and get the permits to visit them.
- Prison visits to interview clients, to identify the victims’ needs and to identify cases within the scope of the project.
- Document and obtain all necessary details on cases within the scope of the project for petitions before national and international bodies.
- Use pre-established tools and reporting methods for case documentation and monitoring;
- Case monitoring by weekly reports, phone contact and emails;
- Monthly visits to stakeholders to promote interactions between judicial actors and ASF France;
- Preparation of high level meetings and agenda for the Project Manager’s field visit and mission to the state;
- Preparation for logistics for trainings, roundtables, advocacy meetings and other project activities when scheduled within the state.
- Monitor and litigate cases of victims of torture, ill-treatment, arbitrary detention and extra-judicial killings and their families.
- Ensure an individual follow-up of approved cases and carry out all the proceedings for the defence of the victims: prepare and file appropriate applications before the Court, be present at the hearings, and obtain judgements in all project related cases etc.
- Maintain contact with victims and families of victims during and after conclusion of cases.
Required Profile and Qualifications
- Minimum of 7 years proven experience in litigation and active private legal practise.
- Proven experience in human rights litigation and rights enforcement mechanisms.
- Proven experience in prisons visit and interviews.
- Availability and strong commitment to handling cases to logical conclusions
- Ability to secure and organize high level meetings within the state.
- Availability and ability to organise all logistics needs of the project in the state including organisation of trainings and roundtables.
- Involvement in justice sector reform in the state.
- Possess strong legal reporting skills
- Interest and passion for human rights law issues
- Strong commitment to pro bono activities
- Must be part of the NBA pro bono legal aid program in the state.
Conditions and Working Context
- Service contract of 12 months renewable with a 3 months’ probation period.
- Conditions in conformity with the sector
- Expected trips to Abuja
- Will be part of a Franco-Nigerian legal team
- Work under the supervision of the Project manager in charge of the Legal aid activity in Abuja.
- Must report to its institution (NBA), to the ASF France office in Abuja and to ASF legal team in France.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] Kindly indicate the job position and location eg: ‘Application- SAFE Support Lawyer- Kaduna’ in the subject of the email, applications not so stated will not be reviewed.
Application Deadline 19th April, 2019.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter