Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Base Logistics Manager (National)
Location: Monguno, Borno
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119,913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
- In 2019, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response. In parallel, PUI is continuously supporting the coordination mechanisms in North East Nigeria humanitarian crisis.
- The Base Logistic Manager (National) is responsible to manage the logistics department in Monguno under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator and with the technical support of the Logistics Coordinator, in order to support the implementation of the programs activities on a timely and good quality basis, and in compliance with PUI procedures and donors’ guidelines.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Team Management: He / She oversees the recruitment, training, organization and management of logistics teams (PUI employees and potential daily workers), giving direct supervision to the national team and building capacities of the staff
- Base logistical support: He/She oversees all the necessary logistical operations to ensure the proper opening and the proper functioning of the base, and ensures the roll out of standard internal logistic procedures.
- Assets and premises: He/She ensures the good management of all the equipment’s, including fleet and premises at base level in compliance with PUI procedures and donors’ guidelines
- Safety & Security: He/She assists the Field Coordinator with safety & security management. He/She is directly responsible of the daily, concrete aspects of the base’s safety management.
- Coordination, reporting and dissemination of information: He /She coordinates with the different department (program and admin) and ensures all the reporting and information is compiled and disseminated among concerned services.
- Capacity building: Coach relevant deputy logistics manager and logistic staffs. Facilitate the development of a high quality of logistics staff, which fully addresses the roll out and consolidation into their daily work.
Specific Objectives and Associated Actions:
- He/She design the team set-up and size according to the support needs of the base.
- He/She oversees the hiring process of the whole logistic team and participates in any decision related to the termination of employment contracts of national employees.
- He/She assumes or delegates responsibility for the induction of new members of his team, ensuring the project and base context, the relevant PUI tools and policies are well understood
- He/She completes basic training programs for base logistics team and identifies additional training needs and sets up adequate training programs (organizational support, methodology, and technical support as the case may be organization of training sessions).
- He/She prepares the job profiles of national employees under his/her immediate supervision.
- He/She supervises and manages directly his/her team
- He/She guides the work of the logistics teams, tracks the realization of their objectives, and leads the mid-term and final staff evaluations.
- He/She ensures compliance with the Internal Rules of Procedure of PUI on the site.
Provide Logistic and Supply Chain Support at Base Level:
- Logistics Support:
- He/She ensures the proper opening of the base which includes : finding adequate infrastructures and furniture, ensuring procedures and premises meet basic PUI security requirements, ensuring the supply of all necessary material to launch the activities setting up and implementing internal logistic procedures on the base (especially market analysis and supply procedures)
- He/She ensures that the needs of the site are met (support, programming) and reports the needs to the Field Coordinator, while making sure that all donor and internal procedures are respected, and that commitments are in line with available budgets.
- He/She organizes the movement of vehicles on a weekly basis.
- He/She ensures adequate storage arrangements for all property and equipment.
- He/She ensures proper delivery of all purchases planned for the operational sites.
- He/She prepares and updates the inventory of supplies and equipment for the site, and submits it to the Log Coordinator.
- He/She ensures that the site is equipped with the minimum of infrastructure (offices and housing) necessary for execution of the work and accommodation of teams, in optimal conditions of safety.
- He/She oversees the vehicle fleet, and more globally ensures its proper functioning, as well as the maintenance of all equipment belonging to the site.
- Supply Chain:
- He/She guarantees that procurement procedures are respected according to the donors’ and PUI’s guidelines. He/She guarantees the validity of all the procurement files according to PUI’s SC policy by regular visits of control (direct check of the folders
- He/She works in close collaboration with the person requesting the purchase, with strong technical specificity, and carries out any appropriate conformity tests if required.
- He/She supervises the identification and referencing of suppliers
- He/She ensures that purchase files are correctly archived and sent to coordination on time (correlatively with Accounting files)
- He/She contributes to plan and eventually supervise the shipment and delivery of materials/equipment up to their final destination.
- He/She ensures the movement/transfer of documents is properly referenced.
- He/She centralizes and optimizes the grouping of purchases
- He/She is responsible of the procurement validation in order to guarantee the respect and the good application of PUI procedures before submitting to the SCM
- He/She checks and analyses the purchase follow up every week and gives some support to the logisticians if issues are identified.
Assets and Premises’ Management:
- He/She ensures that all the assets affected to Base are properly identified and registered in compliance with PUI procedures and donors’ guidelines.
- He/She participates to premises’ administrative management at Base level with the support of the Base Admin Manager and under the supervision of the Base Field Coordinator.
- He/She ensures that all the energy means necessary at Base level are available and are managed in compliance with PUI procedures.
- He/She ensures the identification of the needs regarding assets and premises in the context of proposals’ writing.
- He/She ensures the good use and maintenance of all assets at Base level in compliance with PUI procedures and following manufacturers’ user manual
- He/She Coordinates the IT assets’ maintenance.
- He/She ensures the proper maintenance of all premises at Base level (guesthouse, Office, PHCC, Nutrition sites).
Coordination, Reporting and Dissemination of Information:
- He/She is the main focal point for Program Managers at Base level for any logistics’ related issue.
- He/She ensures the good technical coordination between the Base Logistics Department and Juba Logistics Coordination.
- He/She ensures the proper dissemination and archiving of all the Base Logistics Department documentation, in in compliance with PUI procedures and donors’ guidelines
- He/She ensures the good coordination with Base Admin Department to express the finance needs of Base Logistics Department.
- He/She participates to any relevant internal and external meeting at Base level and participates actively.
- He/She will design logistics training appropriate to the change of the needs
- He/She will work closely with the deputy logistic manager to support the design and training materials, where required
- He/She will deliver the training in an engaging and user-friendly manner, ensuring all stakeholders receive the necessary training and highlighting any issues.
- He/She will verify the full understanding of the trained staff, ensuring readiness for roll out and consolidation
Ensuring the Security of Goods and People:
- He/She ensures that the material and other resources at base level are sufficiently adapted to the safety management approach defined for the base.
- He/She ensures that all transportation means at Base level are equipped and used in compliance with PUI security guidelines.
- He/She participates under the supervision of Base Field Coordinator to the base security plan review and to the context follow-up.
- He/She acts as security focal point in the base when the field coordinator is absent.
- He/She participates in analyzing the base’s safety circumstances and conditions, alerts and issues recommendations to the Field Coordinator concerning potential changes relating to risks as well as measures to be put in place.
- He/She ensures that all premises at Base level are properly equipped in compliance with PUI security guidelines (hibernation kits, first aid kits and extinguishers notably).
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Recruitment, training and organization of the base logistic team
- Increase the anticipation, reactivity of maintenance and general equipment of base facilities (phccs, Warehouse)
- Ensuring PUI logistic tools and procedures are implemented at the field level and followed.
- Bachelor of Arts / Higher Diploma in Engineering or any relevant field or Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics (Supply Chain Management notably).
- Master’s degree in Logistics (Assets and premises management), Technical (Energy and IT management) and Security Management are desirable.
- Minimum of 2 Years with Humanitarian INGO + 1 year technical experience in similar position.
- Fluent in English and Hausa; Kanuri is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Team Management
- Logistical skills
- Security management skills
- Knowledge of PUI procedures
- Staff training and capacity building
- Stock Management
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Good management capacities and team leadership spirit
- Knowledge of institutional donors procedures (UE, OFDA, ECHO, AAP, CDCS, FFP, UN agencies)
- Pack Office and any other software
- Excel proficient
- Share point.
- Independence, ability to take initiatives, sense of responsibilities
- Good resistance to stress and particularly in unstable circumstances
- Pragmatism, objectivity and an ability to take a step back and analyze
- Ability to provide/structure instructions clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- A high sense of discretion and integrity when dealing with sensitive HR information
- High degree of responsibility, initiative, alertness, emotional stability, the ability to prioritize a heavy workload and to delegate accordingly
- Professional attitude and the ability to build successful working relationships with contacts outside of the projects.
- Ability to remain calm and level-headed
- Sense of diplomacy and negotiation
- Analytical (discernment, pragmatism) and synthesis skills
- Organization, rigor and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to manage people remotely
- Ability to work in volatile and secluded contexts.
- Demonstrate ability to integrate local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimensions
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Strong commitment to support/develop capacity of national staff and developing second layer of leadership
- Team player: proven management ability and inter-personal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving and leadership skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Open to Nigeria Nationals Only (Male / Female)
Application Deadline 24th May, 2021.