Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Clinical Officer
Requisition Number: CLINI002273
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North-East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is to implement a multi-sector response that covers Nutrition, Food assistance, Agriculture, WASH, Shelter and Protection to support the conflict-affected population.
- The nutrition response supports both nutrition-sensitive and specific interventions that contribute to the prevention, detection and management of malnutrition. These include:
- Promotion of Maternal, Infant, Young Child Nutrition (via support groups, one-to-one counselling and community-wide SBC for IYCF)
- Provision of supplemental Nutrition Assistance i.e. distribution of Fresh Food Vouchers, backyard gardening and poultry production aiming at improving dietary diversity among targeted households;
- Nutrition surveillance activities i.e. community nutrition screening, nutrition surveys and assessments aiming at monitoring the nutrition situation of targeted vulnerable individuals;
- Management of children with uncomplicated Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) through established Outpatient Therapeutic Program (OTP) services, as well as support referral and follow-up of SAM patients with medical complications to Stabilization Centers (SCs) and children with Moderate Acute malnutrition (MAM) to Targeted Supplementary Feeding Program (TSFP).
General Position Summary
- The Clinical Officer will be responsible for the day to day implementation and delivery of quality Outpatient Therapeutic Program (OTP) services in Gwoza LGA.
- He /She will provide technical support for medical consultation, outreach EPI, health/ nutrition education, sanitation and child health as per standard protocols/ guidelines.
- He/ She is expected to provide supervision, technical assistance, build the capacity of program staff and all OTP related reporting.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Collaborate with other team members for effective integration between other services like Nutrition and health services
- Collaborate with local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
- Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt to the changing situation and context.
- Coordinate and facilitate implementation of OTP services, site selection and prepare weekly movement plan.
- Ensure that mobile/ outreach OTP sites have all the nutrition and medical supplies, tools/ items necessary for the management of uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition.
- Facilitate training and closely work with MOH staff at Health centres within the catchment areas.
- Organize daily, weekly and monthly overview and reports of consultations, EPI and health education.
- Ensure referral system and linkage between SC, OTP and TSFP services at community and at the health facility level.
- Adherence to medical and nutritional treatment protocols and procedures for children and infants.
- Participate in capacity-building training, in health education sessions and IEC/BCC application
- Follow up absentees/defaulters and keep current record of both beneficiaries and the staff.
- Provide basic health services including consultations for SAM cases, emergency services, referral, health education, EPI as per standard guidelines.
- Ensure admitted SAM patients receive necessary routine medication, immunization is up to date, health and nutrition education given.
- Ensure admission and discharge criteria for SAM patients are respected as per the national CMAM guidelines.
- Ensure referral of children with complicated SAM to SC and those with MAM are referred to TSFP for appropriate nutrition care.
- Makes sure that team participate in the daily routine work for sustainability and smooth phase-out strategy,
- Provide on the job training and capacity building for OTP staff with support and liaison with the line manager.
- Supports the integration of program activities with those implemented at Health Facilities in the catchment areas, through regular liaison, information sharing and on the job training and supervision.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
Influence & Representation:
- Train and support community nutrition Monitors and make sure they transmit/convey messages clearly to the community.
- Creates and maintain relationships with local health and other authorities to link services with the existing health structure smoothly,
- Upholds the image and values of Mercy Corps at all times.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly to: Senior Program Officer – Nutrition, with a dotted line to Nutrition Coordinator.
- Works Directly with: Nutrition team.
Knowledge and Experience
- B.Sc in Nursing or Medicine with a minimum of two years work experience in an NGO environment in clinical setups.
- Willing and able to be based within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and English.
- Previous experience in the treatment of patients with severe acute malnutrition is a MUST.
- Familiarity of the intervention areas
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- He/ She should be able to work independently, have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- He/ she should have an understanding of humanitarian principles and their application to program implementation.
- Must be able to solve problems and multi-task on a range of administrative and programmatic issues.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This position is contingent upon funding approval
Application Deadline 18th March, 2022.