The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Commercial Assistant – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Lagos-2022-083
Series/Grade: LE – 1510 8
Promotion Potential: LE-8
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required:
- Occasional Travel
- Work related travel.
- Incumbent supports a range of Commercial Service (CS) programs and activities, especially CS Nigeria marketing, the NUSA program, and core CS Services such as International Company Profile (ICP), Gold Key Service (GKS), and International Partners Search (IPS), as well as trade missions and trade promotion events where the incumbent is responsible for promoting assigned sectors on a national basis.
- Counsels and assists U.S. firms with marketing strategies; monitors and reports trade opportunities; plans, organizes, implements and supports trade events; researches market trends; and serves of CS industry teams.
- Serves as Marketing Lead for CS Nigeria where incumbent creates content for press releases, newsletters, websites, outreach campaigns, and Commercial Officer speeches.
- Serves as office Systems Administrator and Webmaster to manage, utilize and upkeep all information and communications systems for CS Lagos, and supports communication efforts for CS West Africa region.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Information Technology, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Mass Communication or International Trade is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in business, government or non-government organization (NGO) in the fields of marketing, trade promotion, economics, accounting, international trade or similar field is required.
- Must be fully functional with standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and common office equipment.
- A basic knowledge of local business firms, trade practices, restrictions, organizations and customs; of marketing and sales techniques; of assigned industries and their potential for U.S. businesses and understanding of business due diligence investigations is required.
- Fluent in speaking / reading / writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to work well with colleagues and the public; must be proficient and able to train on advanced level office staff in Microsoft Office Suite, as necessary, and database management software programs.
- Skills in use of graphics and related software, digital cameras and images/photograph management tools, e.g., Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, scanners, DVD and CD burners, telecommunication programs, and videoconferencing equipment is required.
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritize competing demands for assistance is required.
- Must have good telephone communication and interpersonal skills; ability to record data accurately and keep organized records; ability to meet and serve representatives of U.S. and host country business firms and other key personnel with tact and efficiency; ability to create and execute promotional campaigns.
- Must have skills in research and writing (e.g., executing on business inquiries for research) and the ability to learn Commerce client management programs, CS internal reporting requirements, operating procedures.
- Must be skilled at troubleshooting technical problems
- Basic knowledge of HTML/web design tools is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
USD 43,507 (NGN 8,664,538) Annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th July, 2022.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate and Exemption document
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria