Resource Centre for Human Rights & Civic Education (CHRICED) is a registered non-profit, non-partisan, and non-governmental organization with a mission to promote democracy, accountability, and inclusive political culture in Nigeria. For core programming, CHRICED uses action civics, research, and outreach to mobilize vulnerable and marginalized segments of the population, including the youth, women and people with disabilities (PWDs), to implement innovative grassroots-focused programs aimed at energizing community action to resist injustice, curb corruption and foster accountability.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication (Print / Broadcast) Officer
- The key purpose of the job is publishing and dissemination of reliable, relevant and professionally produced investigative reporting for diverse and often under-served communities in Nigeria.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Keep up with all the local and global happening in human rights, governance, and politics
- Cover a wide variety of stories
- Conduct and schedule interviews
- Verify information provided by interviewees
- Finalize report/news content
- Keep up with deadlines as timeliness is extremely important
- Follow news events and other media sources to stay informed
- Acts as talent for fundraisers, interviews, and programs.
- Track influencers’ work.
- Plan, edit, and write stories and articles to be disseminated
- Demonstrated knowledge of journalism ethics, practices and standards.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Skilled in the use of journalism principles and techniques.
- Ability to source stories and craft attention-getting, in-depth, vibrant, and well-organized narratives.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its partnerships, workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build strategic relations with colleagues, co-workers, constituents, and the general public.
- Ability to collect, analyze, organize and present information in a meaningful manner.
- Ability to be comfortable using microphones, portable recording devices for audio, video and radio studio production equipment.
- Network quality news writing, reporting, digital recording, and production skills.
- Courage to report on stories that speaks truth to power that be.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects within deadlines.
- Skill in current digital audio editing, video desktop editing, and general desktop software applications including those that create original data journalism stories.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- A minimum of HND or Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s degree will be added advantage) in Journalism, Communications, or a specialized field such as Politics, Economics or International Relations.
- At least 2 years of experience in news, television, or journalism.
- Ethical and professional research and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Passionate about the news and current events.
- Well-spoken, engaging, and knowledgeable about news events.
- Critically-minded, meticulous, and excellent recall of facts.
- Adventurous, calm under pressure, and determined to uncover the truth.
- Great interpersonal and rapport-building skills.
- Sound knowledge of nonprofit and development sector.
- A portfolio of published articles
- Strong knowledge of media processes
- Able to form and ask probing questions to interviewees.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters as attachments to “the Executive Director, Resource Centre for Human Rights and Civic Education (CHRICED)” via: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- The Cover Letter should describe why you are interested in the position you are applying for, and summarize your relevant experience and suitability for the position you are applying for (not more than 2 pages in length).
- You should include the names and contact details of three referees who must not be members of CHRICED staff or Board of Directors.
- No phone calls will be entertained.
- Only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted
Application Deadline 28th July, 2022.