Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia – The MRC Unit The Gambia at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Tite: Consultant Clinician / Head of Clinical Services
Location: Keneba, Gambia
For more than 30 years, the Unit has run an outpatient and emergency medical service for local villages. This is a primary care outpatient clinic, with maternity services, a small observation unit for a maximum of two inpatients, and a supplement feeding centre for malnourished children. Patients requiring further hospital investigation or admission are transferred to the MRCG at LSHTM at the coast, to the Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital, Banjul or Bwiam hospital.
- We are seeking to appoint a Consultant Clinician / Head of Clinical Services (Keneba) to be responsible for managing the clinical services in Keneba, directly supervising all the clinical staff, liaising with the Clinical services at Fajara and the Regional Health Teams.
- FWACP Part 2 or equivalent in Internal Medicine / Paediatrics / Family Medicine.
- Commitment to working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal / written communication skills.
- A flexible and well-organized approach to work and an ability to meet deadlines.
- The ability to deal sensitively with patients.
- Attentiveness to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Substantial clinical experience and skills.
- Experience of staff management.
- Record of publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Good IT skills-(Microsoft Word, Excel and Access).
- Willingness to be on-call and work outside the normal working hours.
- Willingness to live in a remote rural location.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2, 36 Points of MRCG at LSHTM’s payscale at a net monthly salary of 113, 450 Dalasis. This converts to a take home pay of $2, 268 approximately per month using the prevailing DaIasi / USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD figure is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
- The appointment will be for 3 years initially and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Deadline: 26th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should please download the “Application Form”. Completed application form and documents should be e-mailed to: [email protected] with “Job title” as email subject.
Click Here for More Information (.docx)
- MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or were in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter