Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: COVID-19 Coordinator (Consultancy)
Job ref.: req9999
Locations: Kaduna, Jigawa, Kano, Yobe, Borno and Lagos
Project Overview and Role
- The LAFIYA programme is a 7-year DFID Funded programme from February 2020 to February 2027. The programme is being implemented by Palladium and its Consortium Partners – Society for Family Health, Options Consultancy Services Ltd, CHECOD, PharmAccess, Solina and Chatham House.
- Lafiya will be delivered at federal level, as well as with a focus on targeted states (Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano and Yobe) with activities tailored for each specific state instead of a “one size fits all” approach.
- The objective of the programme is to improve health outcomes for the poorest and most vulnerable in Nigeria through i) encouraging Government of Nigeria to increase resources invested in health; ii) improving effectiveness and efficiency of public and private basic health for services and iii) reducing total fertility rate in Nigeria.
- However, preparations of implementation have been interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. FCDO is now working with Palladium to identify ways in which the programme can adapt to support the COVID-19 response in Nigeria as well as access to essential health services, in line with the programme’s original focus.
- In this respect, FCDO have approved for Palladium, to engage with a number of high priority states, including Lagos in the COVID-19 context, outside the original programme design. The COVID-19 Coordinator has overall representation and coordination responsibility for the delivery of the FCDO LAFIYA COVID-19 support to the assigned State.
- The role works closely with and oversees the team of partners and other technical experts engaged by Palladium to deliver this support in the State ensuring that programme objectives and deliverables are met in accordance with the LAFIYA reporting requirements and programme TORs.
- Location: The LAFIYA COVID-19 Coordinator will be based in one of the following; Kaduna, Jigawa, Kano, Yobe, Borno and Lagos
- Duration: Six months from October to March 2020 with a possibility of extension
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The LAFIYA COVID-19 Coordinator – will be responsible for:
Programme delivery and oversight:
- Provide programme technical and related budgeting and financial management oversight and accountability of the implementation of all the activities and results under each of the strategic support areas of LAFIYA’s COVID-19 support in Lagos.
- In close consultation with the Honourable Commissioner of Health, the State COVID-19 Emergency Operations Centre, other partners supporting the response, identify and advise on the best ways to tailor LAFIYA COVID-19 support in the State for maximum impact.
- Assumes overall responsibility for the effective implementation of the identified and agreed interventions and ensures delivery is on time, within budget, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant.
- Specifically monitors the progress and quality of the LAFIYA COVID-19 support and generally the overall State COVID-19 response in order to identify how to strengthen the response. Pursuant to this requirement, they will maintain up to date logs of issues and risks; working to resolve issues, managing and mitigating risks; and escalating material issues and risks as appropriate.
- Ensures the team and activities delivered through LAFIYA support in the state demonstrates good value for money;
Team management and leadership:
- Assumes overall responsibility for the effective and professional management of LAFIYA’S COVID-19 support in the State;
- Leads, guides, mentors and manages the performance of technical and administrative direct reports and ensures appropriate leadership, guidance, mentorship and management of other staff involved in LAFIYA’s COVID-19 support in the State;
- Participates as required in LAFIYA management meetings;
- Ensures consistent implementation of company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines, Security Protocols.
- Establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with other FCDO programmes, State Ministry of Health and other key government ministries agencies and departments; and key stakeholders including civil society, community structures and development partners involved in the Lagos State COVID-19 response.
- Provide strategic and technical representation of Palladium LAFIYA by at key state level COVID-19 fora including EOC subcommittees, working groups or coordination meetings (if relevant), and maintain a positive, professional, continuous and visible presence for LAFIYA.
- Ensure Palladium LAFIYA’s support is shared and explained to relevant stakeholders.
- Pro-actively liaise and build rapport with local officials, development partners including UN agencies and any other relevant stakeholders.
- This position requires an individual who is accustomed to the pace of emergency response programming, does not require close supervision or direction, is an excellent communicator and is flexible and highly responsive. The individual must meet the following specific requirements:
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health, Epidemiology, Policy and Governance or other relevant field required.
- Experience in coordination and collaboration of stakeholders including government agencies, host country governments and counterparts, and international donor agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required, working knowledge of the local languages preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial, and evaluative skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe.
- Verifiable experience in designing, implementing, and managing or evaluating complex health programmes.
- Professional experience in lead management implementing emergency response programmes.
- Solid background and knowledge Nigerian health system, including demonstrated technical depth and understanding of the health policy environment and governance in Nigeria, particularly in Lagos.
- Solid background and knowledge Nigerian health system, especially in the intervention State UN agencies and other international emergency response systems, standards and modalities of work in public health emergencies.
- Proven technical experience in health systems strengthening, health sector policy and strategies, working with the private sector, advocacy and accountability.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter