The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Head of Corporate Services, C4
Ref Id: 02 / 21 LOS
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Grade: C4 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Working hours per week: 37
Start Date: 12th April, 2021.
Main Purpose of Job
- The British Deputy High Commission (BDHC), Lagos, employs over 150 staff, and is the centre of our trade, private sector development, and law enforcement cooperation with Nigeria. We also act as a regional hub for a number of projects and services across West Africa. BDHC Lagos is part of the UK’s wider diplomatic network in Nigeria and operates in partnership with the British High Commission, Abuja.
- Our Corporate Services team is the core of BDHC and responsible for the entire operational platform including Estates management, Transport, IT, Finance, Human Resources (HR) and Protocol.
- Working closely with the Head of Corporate Services (HCS) the Deputy Head will provide effective Corporate Services to the BDHC, ensuring excellent service delivery, value for money and robust compliance. You will be expected to deliver results both individually and through leadership of the large (70+) Corporate Services section.
- Alongside your specific portfolios, you will support the HCS in giving the team strategic leadership and in developing staff. You will also deputise for the HCS when required.
Roles and Responsibilities
Corporate Services – General:
- Supporting the HCS in the day to day running of the BDHC platform. Delivering high-quality services in all Corporate Services functions.
- Responsibility for specific portfolios within the platform and all related activities.
- Ensuring excellent customer service, value for money and compliance with policies/ procedures and audit requirements.
- Setting clear performance standards and monitoring performance against Key Performance Indicators across the platform.
- Contributing to strategic planning for the platform, working with the HCS and the Nigeria Network CS Management team.
- Building and maintaining a constructive interface between Corporate Services, other sections in FCDO and external service providers.
- Long-term planning to ensure the consistent provision of Corporate Services during periods of high demand. This will include financial and team-planning.
- Crisis preparedness: You will play a key role in ensuring that the BDHC is fully prepared for any crisis, coordinating preparedness across the Corporate Services team and supporting crisis logistics specifically.
- Leadership and management of projects and change management where required.
- Deputising for the HCS as required and undertaking the HCS role during periods of absence.
- Responsible for leading on all finance related process including; management of posts operational budget, forecasting, reconciliation and all other finance-related processes. Working proactively with budget holders and the Head of Procurement to ensure accurate, timely and evidence-based forecasts are produced.
- Maintaining a clear overview of financial and compliance performance at post, proactively ensuring compliance with all financial risk management and audit requirements, escalating any identified risks with identified areas for improvement.
- Leading on providing financial reports to HCS, SLT and Network Finance Manager, presenting information in a clear and accessible way to inform strategic decisions.
- Improving post capability on finance and risk management by sharing guidance, tools and training opportunities.
- Working with Nigeria Network Finance Manager to provide advice, direction and assurance on all finance issues within the category portfolio.
- Managing ICT suppliers to ensure efficient and secure service delivery, according to FCDO standards.
- Ensuring all service and support functions remain responsive to customer needs
- Managing and communicating all technical change with appropriate governance
- Putting in place a programme of continual service improvement across the wider service delivery function.
- Oversight and management of all ICT related activities at post, including leading on ICT change management activities, all major ICT service incidents and ICT security at post
- Leading the ICT support team to assess, diagnose and troubleshoot user and system issues. Monitoring tickets and managing through to resolution, working closely with key stakeholders and service providers, to ensure issues are resolved according to SLA’s.
- Responsible for managing the Transport section by ensuring the Transport Manager provides an efficient and effective transport service
- Working closely with the Security team and all other key stakeholders to ensure safe delivery of Transport services.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Line management- Transport Manager (B3), 3 x ITSO officers (A2), 1 x Post Account (A2), ensuring regular feedback on their performance and conducting mid-term reviews and annual appraisals on time. Assist staff with their training and with learning and developing.
- Counter signing of up to 4 other A2 staff.
- Oversight of 25 drivers in the Transport team.
- Oversight and management of post admin budget circa £2.3 million.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in Corporate Services management or a similar environment
- Minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience in ICT support services and ICT Management
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, one-to-one, group, formal presentations – ability to vary style, pace and presentation to suit the audience
- Budget management skills /experience
- Able to adapt to a quick changing and evolving business environment; working proactively and autonomously
- Ability to prioritise and deliver high-quality results on multiple areas of work with tight deadlines
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- ACCA / ICAN / CIMA diploma
- Degree in Computer Science; with professional Information Systems qualifications, Microsoft would be preferable
- Experience of managing ITIL Service Desk processes
- Experience in user desktop support, in particular, Office 365 and cloud
- Experience in Microsoft Exchange/Outlook, Ms Teams
- Knowledge of NTEs, VPNs and global communication methods
- Good working knowledge of networking and PC infrastructure.
- Making Effective Decisions, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
Starting Monthly Salary
Other Benefits and Conditions of Employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- The British Deputy High Commission Lagos encourages a learning and development culture.
- Training for all aspects of the job will be available and a wide variety of personal development training opportunities are available to all BDHC staff.
- BDHC core working hours are 0730-1530 Mon-Thu and 0730-1230 Fri.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High Commission are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa / status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses / partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Country will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British Deputy High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
Application Deadline 26th March, 2021.