Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119,913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
In 2019, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response. In parallel, PUI is continuously supporting the coordination mechanisms in North East Nigeria humanitarian crisis. Finally, PUI is also running the common logistics platform for all humanitarian actors thanks to a co-funding between 20 partners, and a funding from the logistics sector (WFP). Thanks to the Maiduguri Inter Agency Logistic Platform, 91 projects have been supported in 2018, for a total of 7 000 000 of indirect beneficiaries.
We are looking for a candidate for our Maiduguri Base field office:
Job Title: Deputy HR Manager
Contract Start Date: As soon as possible
Contract End Date: 31st July, 2021
- Under the direct supervision of the HR manager, the Deputy HR manager contributes to the good management of the human resources and the administrative and legal records of Maiduguri base.
- He/she will serve as the focal person in ensuring the day-to-day management of the base HR team, likewise ensure an effective communication between the HR team and other departments to forge an inter departmental collaboration with the aim of promoting a positive team spirit within the work environment.
Responsibilities And Tasks
- Participate in the recruitment process of the staffs under his/her direct supervision. Support the staff under his/her direct management in the fulfilment of their duties
- Report to his/her line manager problems and/or concerns on technical issues
- Provide training to the HR staff on the HR components in order to build their capacities
- Solve team conflicts, if any occurs among the team Ensure team building among his/her team
- Conduct appraisals every six months for the staffs under his/her supervision
Human Resources management and career path management:
- Assist in drawing up organizational charts, and be mindful of coherence in the composition of teams, in terms of task division and responsibilities, defining hierarchical and functional relationships, function titles, etc
- Validate by delegation of the HR Manager, amendments to contracts (job description, payment, working hours, end date, etc.)
- With the support of the HR manager, work on clear integration plans and on comprehensive capacity building plan for the base teams
- Create or draft any possible support process for integrating new employees;
- Support the HR manager in the identification of internal and external training providers
- Ensure the good organization of the trainings
- Support the HR manager in ensuring the follow up of the training plan
- Take part in drawing up job descriptions and confirm these against the job categories table.
- Be proactive in the identification of inconsistencies in the human resources set up within the departments
- Support the HR Manage in the monitoring of the correct progress of assessment and appraisal procedures for all employees of the base
- Supervise the recruitment process (advertising, short-listing candidates, and interviews with the different head of department
- Ensure the regular update of the recruitment tests and interviews
- Ensure, once the recruitment is finalized, the induction process in coordination with the HR Manager
- Ensure the capitalization and archiving of all recruitment steps
- Provide to the managers with advices on the type of recruitment to follow
- Ensure the reference checks of each selected candidate
- Ensure physical and IT archiving, as well as securing administrative documents
- Ensure that administrative personnel files are created and will ensure that employee documents are in accordance with working for PUI in the country and donors requirements;
- Ensure the administrative management of national staff, in particular, payroll operations and absences monitoring
- Ensure that the HR archives are in compliance with internal procedures
- Contribute to the optimization of HR, administration and payroll tools and procedures;
- Support the HR manager in preparing the information and statistical data required for drawing up budgets and salary costs
HR risks management:
- Participate in defining and implementing suitable working conditions particularly those concerning rules and regulations on health and safety
- With the HR Manager, monitor situations in order to anticipate and avert social conflicts and take part in crisis management, if necessary
- Responsible at base level and in collaboration with the HR manager for keeping records for all current and previous employees and update this information on paper and electronic files.
- Provide information to all employees regarding the PUI Charter and its Internal rules and regulations
- Be attentive for any risk or abuse of power (whether this is between local employees, or between an expatriate and local employees or any other type of abuse of power) and report any inappropriate behavior to the line manager
- Ensure that information is circulated effectively between the different department at base level
- Edit or take part in drafting internal reports for everything involving HR, administrative and legal issues for the base
- Implement collective rules and communicate internally
- Stimulate internal communications and anticipate risks associated with national HR
Priorities Of The Department
- Digitalization and archiving of hr files
- Follow up on timely submission of employees’ appraisals
- Close monitoring with effective reporting on annual leave for national staff
- In collaboration with the hr/admin manager, ensure the good hr reporting to the concerned departments
- Ensure confidentiality on all hr matters
- Language skills: Fluent in Hausa and English (Kanuri is a plus)
- Education degree: University degree in Human Resources or Administration management
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar position (NGOs/private companies)
- Knowledge & skills: Good analytical and writing skills. Good management capacities and team leadership spirit
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Good skills in reports and contracts redaction
- Knowledge of humanitarian actors
- Good management and pedagogical skills
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Rigor and organization
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Able to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Autonomous, neutral, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Honesty and integrity
- Team management
- Able to analyze and suggest improvement
- Able to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 4th February, 2021
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter