The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Career Development
Department: Student Affairs
Summary of Position
- The Director of Career Development is responsible for the overall operations of the Career Services Unit.
- Responsible for supervising all student services and career services offered to AUN students and alumni, to ensure that the quality of these programs is consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the University.
- Coordinating day-to-day activities and managing all aspects of the unit in order to achieve campus objectives for student retention, satisfaction, program completion, and graduate placement.
- The Director is responsible for communication with faculty, employers, alumni, and professional schools as it relates to Career Services.
- Responsible for all career development programs that serve students and alumni. The Director plans, organizes, and delivers a variety of career development programs including: on-campus recruiting, career fairs, career development workshops, class presentations, individual career counseling, and programs assisting students in exploration and development of their future career plans.
- The Director will work with the Executive Director for Residential Programs to coordinate the New Student Orientation initiative for AUN
- The Director is responsible for managing the unit’s budget and for ensuring that the unit follows university policies and procedures.
- Provide vision and strong leadership supporting the school’s vision and mission.
- Provide professional guidance in a confidential setting to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students which includes:
- information on careers, occupation and employers; identification and clarification of personal values and goals; and decision-making.
- Create and build innovative student service programs to ensure AUN students the best possible student experience.
- Plan and direct career preparation and enrichment programs designed to help prepare students and graduates for the job market, including self-assessment exercises, fairs, resume writing, interviewing, portfolio development, negotiation and job search strategies.
- Assist in providing individual career guidance to students seeking jobs.
- Actively participate as a campus liaison with local employers and professional organizations, promoting AUN programs and students to the community.
- Develop partnerships with local business leaders and employers.
- Establish and monitor performance-based goals and metrics for the unit to ensure appropriate resources are allocated to meet ongoing campus objectives.
- Oversees the maintenance of all records and statistics on job placement.
- Provides Vice President of Student Affairs with accurate and timely information regarding all unit activities and progress towards campus goals on a regular ongoing basis.
- Coordinate the graduate tracking process in efforts to know where each year’s seniors are after graduation.
- Make presentations to parents and students about career services.
- Maintain Alumni database and relationships.
- Evaluate and purchase career development resources.
- Compile annual report.
- Research and provide information on employment trends, career opportunities, etc.
- Maintain regular contact with the Deans and Department Chairs to develop services.
- Recruit, select, train, supervise and evaluate career services staff.
- Performs additional reasonably related duties and responsibilities as assigned, consistent with AUN policy.
- Coordinate mentor programs for students.
- Schedule Employers Information sessions and on-campus interviews for full-time, part-time, and/or summer jobs and internships.
- Maintain Career Library, career website, and job listings.
- Communication with Faculty, Employers, Alumni, Professional Associations, other colleges, and Graduate/Professional schools.
- Sit on executive committee, and other committees as needed.
- Assist with New Student Orientation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the Humanities, Social Sciences or any other related field.
- At least five (5) years’ experience working with college students.
- Prior experience with Community Service and service learning programs, and a clear understanding of their definitions.
- Ability to work with and lead a team.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- General knowledge of principles and practices of personnel administration.
- Knowledge of sound techniques in all aspects of personnel management.
- Ability to develop long-term plans and programs and to evaluate work accomplishments.
- Proven ability to work with students and staff in a multicultural environment under extreme conditions.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- A peaceful disposition and “problem solved” attitude.
- Ability to work collaboratively with groups on and off campus.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Ability to organize work effectively and deal calmly and patiently with multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently
- Possess high level interpersonal and people skills.
- Possess the ability to arrange tasks in order of priorities and perform efficiently.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as per AUN salary scale.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references on a single file to: [email protected] in a word document or PDF format. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status. For information on AUN, visit our Web site at www.aun.edu.ng
Application Deadline 12th June, 2021.