ECOWAS Parliament was established by the ECOWAS Revised Treaty of 24 July 1993 as one of the Institutions of the Community. The Parliament is the House of Representatives of the peoples of the Community. It is composed of 115 Representatives from the 15 Member States of ECOWAS: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Grade: G1 / G2 / G3
Institution: ECOWAS Parliament
Division: Infrastructure Division
Line Supervisor: Transport Officer
Directorate: Administration & Finance
- Under the supervison of the Transport Officer, the incumbent shall assist in the safe and timely movement of Members of Parliament, guests of the Parliament and members of staff in the performance of their duties.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Drive safely and with courtesy ECOWAS Parliament’s official vehicles for any given assignment.
- Maintain an up to date log book of all movements for the official vehicles;
- Conduct basic checks on each vehicle and promptly report to the Transport Officer any fault, anomaly or deficiency for immediate action;
- Promptly report the due dates for maintenance as well as the expiry dates of official vehicle documents such as road worthiness certificate, insurance, etc.
- Ensure safety of the vehicle, passengers and other roads users by strict adherence to all safety and driving codes;
- Ensure cleanliness, tidiness and comfort in each official vehicle.
- Ensure the availability of standard safety equipment (such as spare tyre, fire extinguisher, warning triangle, basic tools, first aid box) in the vehicle prior to any movement of the vehicle;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- West African School Certificate or equivalent certificate with a formal driver training certificate and a valid driver’s license/ certification to operate assigned vehicle;
- 2 years of work experience as a driver, preferably for an international organization involving a variety of makes and models of vehicles;
- Knowledge of defensive driving practices, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads and conditions, and protocols of relevance to safety and security of passengers during inclement weather, terrorism events, motor accidents, criminal and violent incidents;
- Knowledge of basic vehicle maintenance (e.g. circle check) and ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and minor vehicle repairs.
- Good knowledge of traffic rules and regulations, and ability to read and interpret traffic signs and documents such as safety rules, and operating and maintenance instructions;
- Maintain a log book;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Understands own role in the team, making every effort to contribute in a meaningful way;
- Adapts quickly to new ways of doing things;
- Ability to follow simple instructions and to consistently complete work in a timely manner;
- Ability to learn from others, on-the-job and independently by reading instructions, guidelines and work manuals;
- Ability to motivate self along the organisational structure.
- Ability to interact with others in a candid, timely and straightforward manner;
- Ability to communicate general information in an accurate and customer-friendly way;
- Capable of dealing with difficult clients or situations in an effective manner, understanding own limitations and when to call for assistance;
- Ability to deal honestly with clients and avoid conflict of interest.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS diversity management and multiculturalism;
- Ability to interact with others in a manner that is adapted and that respects multicultural and diversity policies/expectations;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to ask questions in order to clarify multicultural and diversity expectations in the day to day execution of assigned tasks and learns from experiences.
- Good written communication skills in order to understand correspondence/emails and reply accordingly;
- Ability to use technology as determined by assigned responsibilities and internal standards.
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage
- Approaches and carries out all duties in a thorough and organized manner;
- Ability to identify and appreciate the urgency and importance of different tasks;
- Knowledge of the need for quality record keeping in planning and implementation of assigned tasks.
- Ability to execute tasks in accordance with step-by-step instructions.
- Clearly understands the goals and targets of assigned work;
- Knowledge of the mandate of the organization;
- Ability to understand, apply and explain ECOWAS procedures and work instructions;
- Ability to display values in the execution of assigned duties that reflect ECOWAS expectations
- Keeps high quality records that are easy for others to understand;
- Knowledge of who to seek within ECOWAS for information important to the execution of assigned duties;
- Ability to write with correct grammar and spelling and draw reasonable conclusions from written instructions.
- General Service positions, such as this one, are only open to ECOWAS citizens resident in the host country, in this case, Nigeria.
- G1 – UA 9,535.80 (USD 15,045.59)
- G2 – UA11,083.65 (USD 17,487.78)
- G3 – UA 17,067.59 (USD 26,929.25).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly, attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Application Deadline 11th April, 2022.