The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Preparedness and Response Manager
Reference ID: req25313
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
- The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
- At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State.
- Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods
Job Overview / Summary
- IRC Nigeria seeks an experienced, dynamic individual for the role of Emergency Preparedness and Response Manager supporting the country programme in the development and implementation of the Emergency Preparedness Plan and provide key cross-sector, cross-functional support to the Country Emergency Team ‘CET’ when deployed in response to a specific humanitarian response.
- He/She will be under the supervision on the Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordinator will work together for the successful implementation of the emergencies.
- The Emergency Preparedness and Response Manager will be responsible for ensuring quality, coordinated, rapid emergency response, with an emphasis on timeliness and best use of resources; leading and building staff capacity on preparedness initiatives; and supporting the integration.
- The Emergency Preparedness and Response Manager’s responsibilities will also include working closely with Senior Area Manager, sector manager, CET, M and E staff on coordinated assessment and information gathering on early warning and emergency impacts; representation at various forums; and liaison with diverse stakeholders including IRC technical units, government partners, and international and local NGOs.
Emergency Preparedness Planning:
- Support the EPR Co with the updating the emergency preparedness document on regular basis when required due to context change.
- Provide support CET and field-based staff on emergency preparedness issues, including delivery of training and simulations (emergency preparedness / emergency response trainings)
- Work in closely with HR Coordinator and maintain the CET register, ensure its up to date and recruit replacement staff as and when required
- Keep inventory of the prepositioned items and share feedback with the emergency response coordinator.
- Closely monitor and stay up to date on context-specific factors informing and/or impacting IRC EPP e.g., early warning data, security and access issues, other actor mapping, and make recommendations to SMT and program teams accordingly.
- Coach and mentor CET staff and field-based counterparts on emergency preparedness and response and link into wider organizational talent development mechanisms
- Work closely with M&E unit to ensure data collection and monitoring tools are aligned with and responsive to emergency program M&E frameworks, core indicators, and inclusive of the needs of vulnerable groups
Emergency Response and Programming:
- Will participate, and as necessary lead, needs assessments and data collection to feed into project design; Support field teams where needed to develop/refine tools for, and/or conduct and compile information from, rapid assessments.
- Support in the design and delivery of IRC emergency interventions in response to e.g., displacement to due to conflict or natural disasters, disease outbreak, and other emergencies as they arise and based on needs
- Ensure an integrated sector approach when implementing a response through engagement and consultation with Programme Sector leads from the inception of the response
- Support the implementation of first line emergency response projects, ensuring timely procurement, spending, and implementation plans and that overall stated goals and objectives are tracked and met before transition and merger with regular programming or exit
- Ensure compliance with IRC policy, procedures and practices throughout preparedness and emergency response activities, including adherence to Do No Harm principles
- Will be part of the development of budgets and proposals for emergency preparedness and response interventions, coordinating with other technical leads/specialist on project design and proposal development inputs with the support of the coordinator.
Coordination and Representation:
- In collaboration with senior area managers, field coordinators and security focal points, closely monitor and communicate with key staff as needed on new or anticipated developments in population movements, security context, accessibility constraints, and natural or environmental phenomena.
- Liaise with and support operational functions in their roles in effectively designing and delivering preparedness and response, particularly on cash, prepositioning, and timely procurement.
Reporting & Documentation:
- As required, compile or contribute to the writing of assessment and project reports.
- Compile and disseminate any data, reports, briefings, etc. (IRC’s or other agencies’) relevant to IRC preparedness and response activities in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to the design and development of program briefing materials, and provide timely, quality inputs to information requests from IRC regional and HQ management and donors.
- Lead the compiling and writing of periodic situation reports as required.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordinator, Grants; M&E Coordinator; Sector Leads; Supply Chain Coordinator; Field Coordinators; Base Managers, CET members, Regional Emergency Coordinator; key staff in IRC regional/HQ Emergency Unit.
- External: Other humanitarian organizations; RRM, relevant Cluster leads; donors, as required.
- Position Reports to: Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordinator
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Regional Emergency Director (RED),Deputy Director Field Management (DDFM)
- Position directly Supervises: CET members
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program: Grants; M&E Coordinator; Sector Leads; Supply Chain Coordinator; Field Coordinators; Base Managers,
- Region/Global: Regional Emergency Director/EHAU
Key External Contacts:
- Other humanitarian organizations; RRM, state departments (involved in emergency e.g SEMA) relevant Cluster leads; donors, as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field from a recognized university with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrably excellent written and oral communication skills; strong English writing skills required.
- Experience with integrated emergency response required.
- Proficient in MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Flexibility to adapt to changing demands and the ability to work under pressure are essential.
- Experience must include work in a similar role within international humanitarian/emergency contexts
- Exceptional coordination and inter-personal skills
- Background in situation analysis, needs assessments and emergency response project implementation.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Experienced in emergency preparedness and response is required.
- Reporting and data management.
- Ability to work under pressure, long work hours, and high workload.
- Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proposal and concept note development desired.
- Budget management
- Team player
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Previous experience in similar or position is required
- Proven leadership and team management skill is an advantage.
- Participation and leadership in emergency preparedness and response mandatory.
- Coordination experience is added advantage
- English and Hausa speaker is an added advantage
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Ability to Travel:
- 50-70% possibility of travelling expected and prolonged stay in the field.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law