Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental & Compliance Officer
Requisition ID.: 11250
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria
Internal Job Grade: D1
Contract type: Nine (9) Months
Job Family: Programme
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: None
- To promote agriculture-driven economic growth and improve the living conditions for 10,000 rural farmer households (60% women) with a specific focus on women and youth.
- To ensure that implementation of all LINE project activities is in compliance with the minimum standards and guidelines / requirements by the Bauchi State Government, Federal laws and Global Affairs Canada (GAC) environmental requirements. The LINE Project is targeted to improve the livelihoods of 10,000 poor women and men farmers in Bauchi State..
- Perform the duties of Environmental Compliance Officer for LINE Project and ensure the implementation of the Project’s Environmental Management Plan (EMP) as agreed by Oxfam and the donor.
- Ensure the tasks as indicated in the EMP are carried out systematically and proactively.
- Perform monitoring and reporting requirements as per the EMP.
- Arrange training for staff and partners for the activities assigned to the Environmental Compliance Officer.
- Ensure monitoring data is provided to the LINE Project’s M&E Officer on a timely basis and electronically, and working with that person to plan monitoring activities.
- Be familiar with Nigeria’s environmental protection agency and local environment regulations and have an understanding of the environmental permit applications process.
- Compile, track and analyze information related to LINE Project that is needed for LINE’s semi-annual and annual reports and for the LINE Project’s mid-term and final evaluations.
- Perform onsite inspections to ensure compliance with the EMP and, as necessary, work with Bauchi State agencies, primarily BSADP.
- Represents the interest of Oxfam at workshops, seminars, committees and with outside organizations.
- Schedule and prioritize workload, set work schedule deadlines, and determine appropriate implementation procedures.
- Prepare an annual report on the implementation of the EMP.
- Revise the EMP as necessary and present the proposed adjustments to the Project Management team in advance of the preparation of the Project’s annual work plan and in advance of the Project’s PSC meetings, as arranged with the Project Coordinator
- Coordinate with all LINE team members where there are shared or overlapping roles.
- Prepare technical proposals as required to ensure the LINE Project meets all the standards required in Nigeria and under Canadian law related to plans, permits and procedures for air quality, hazardous waste, spill prevention, storm water and waste water, and ensure quality standard on Project deliverables.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by the Project Coordinator.
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights.
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences, Management or any relevant equivalent Degree.
- Master’s in Environmental Studies will be an added advantage.
- 10 years working experience in managing development programmes with an environmental component. – preferably within the NGO sector.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in working with word processing, Excel, Power Point, databases and electronic communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tenacity, strong initiative and proven capacity to get the job done. Ability to work independently and under minimum supervision.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa.
- Demonstrable skills in environmental planning, design and Management and experience involving community participation for environmental protection and sustainable living.
- Must possess at least 4 years field experience in community development particularly with farmer groups in northern Nigeria.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Influencing: We can engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities, we could create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
- Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We could engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
- Systems Thinking: We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome, or event in isolation. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
- Listening: We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.
- Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with many elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
- We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
- Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us