Lekki Freeport Terminal is the only Container Terminal Operator in Nigeria’s only deep seaport.It is set to become the largest container terminal in Nigeria and West Africa with enormous potential of becoming fully automated thereby contributing to the large trading operations of Nigeria and indeed, West Africa. The premise on which Leeki Freeport Terminal will operate is to connect global maritime trade to Nigeria and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Equipment Controller
Location: Lagos Island, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
Reporting to: Shift Manager
- Role covers both project implementation and operational phase and covers the timely management, supervision and deployment of all necessary equipment needed to support vessel operations in order to achieve consistent and improving levels of performance, whilst adhering to port policies and procedures.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Support operations management on preparation of standard operating procedures as regards deployment of equipments.
- Provide inputs with regards smart management of equipment deployment.
- Go through yard familiarization exercise.
- Be involved on live equipment tests for all terminal operations equipment.
- Participate in different training modules of operations and technical department.
- Develop standardized equipment pre-check list to be used and adhered to by all equipment operators.
- Ensure the compliances of all safety protocol advised by HSSE.
- Actively follow and promote the LFT Safety and Security policies and ensure that fellow employees and visitors are doing the same.
- At start of shift, follow-up and ensure that all operators perform equipment pre-check and submit completed documentation for same within designated timelines.
- Collect, analyse, sort and prioritize completed forms at the beginning of each shift and ensure safety critical items are repaired prior to being released to operations.
- Track and manage maintenance status in conjunction with completed pre checks forms.
- Ensure frequent and regular audits are carried to ensure repairs are being completed to operational standards.
- Proactively monitor Operations Planning requirements and liaise with Technical Planning to establish equipment availability timelines.
- Achieve maximum equipment availability in the shifts by ensuring that operations is aware of expected equipment release times to keep operators on standby.
- Ensure that all operations manpower requirement to be executed in accordance with priorities set by the operations management and escalate where changes may be required.
- To fully control and coordinate the daily allocation of equipment considering expected work load, making sure that these requirements are sufficient to serve the daily plan activities. Also, to properly pay attention to the condition and maintenance of equipment.
- Assist with incident investigations to identify root causes and develop corrective actions for implementation.
- Follows safe operating procedures and instructions, preventing any injury to persons, or damage to containers and other equipment and property.
- Reduce and increase Equipment’s in operation according operational requirements.
- Close collaboration with training team to cover areas for improvement for equipment training.
- Develop and maintain general equipment cleanliness standards and establish an audit system to ensure compliance of all equipment types.
- Ability to anticipate issues, manage exceptions, and identify recurring trends, create contingency plans and alternate solutions together with technical department.
- Develop and maintain equipment status reports and communicate discrepancies in a timely manner to the Planning and Shift Manager.
- Liaise between Planning and Technical when equipments become available for operations.
- Report immediately in case of any incident during operations to operations supervisor.
Critical Success Factors
- Training attendance, as required.
- Performance progress during live equipment testing and yard familiarization exercise.
- Successful engagement on live equipment testing.
- Ensure all agreed productivity targets are met with Zero Accident.
- Ensure availability of all equipment required for every shift.
- Maintain proper record of all the incident involving equipment and conduct the investigation with HSSE team and ensure proper signoff.
- Maintain safe & reliable work environment and achieve all KPIs.
- Understand the importance of reporting and keep updated shift manager with all equipment developments as per set protocol.
- Prepare all required reports.
Qualifications & Experiences
- Technical Certificate; Bachelor’s Degree is an advantage.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Requires at least two years’ experience in terminal operations environment or similar/related industry working.
- Experience in managing equipment rosters and maintaining records
- Understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements, and equipment is preferable.
- Previous experience of working in a multi-cultural environment is an advantage.
- No past record of safety and operational procedure breaches / warnings.
- Previous experience as a equipment controller would be an advantage.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices terminal operations or similar industry.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills combined with good counselling and listening skills.
- Strong drive to deliver results.
- Ability to work under pressure environment with constant change of priorities.
- Good communication skills with the ability to communicate in English (Speaking/Reading). Also, must have a working knowledge of Pidgin English.
- Ability to work on weekends, night, holidays and for long period of time.
- Adaptability: Flexibility in dealing with change and overcoming obstacles in meeting job requirements.
- Assertiveness: Confidence in expressing an opinion or requirement even when challenged.
- Collaboration: Working closely with others to achieve the desired results.
- Team-focused: Working with a group in utilizing all of its resources to achieve maximum performance.
- Conflict Management: Facilitating problem resolution while maintaining working relationships.
- Decisiveness: Evaluating information or situations, assuming the risks, and making judgements.
- Analysis: Locating or extracting relevant information that is critical to problem solving.
- Compliance: Adhering to policies and procedures established by the organization.
- Dedication: Fully committing oneself to the job, which may include making some personal sacrifices.
- Quality-focused: Supporting the needs of product and service excellence.
- Indoor / Outdoor: Outdoor
- Onshore/Offshore: Onshore
- Heights: Yes
- Hours of Work: Shift rotation; 12 hours
- On Call: Yes
- Contact after Hours: Yes
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply