The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance Intern
Reference No.: req11398
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014 and Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015.
- The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
Scope of Work:
- The Intern reports to the Finance Manager Yobe.
- She/he supports the Finance Assistant/Office in aspects of day to day operations of the accounting department in the Yobe Field office.
- Assist the finance assistant when making payments to suppliers, contractors and program staff based on approved documents and in line with authority delineation.
- Assist the finance assistant in ensure scrutiny of the entire bill for accuracy and receipt of goods before process for payment.
- Assist the finance Assistant on proper documentation, Stamping, Labelling and filing of all financial documents.
- Assist the finance office on compiling support documents for audit purposes and retuning back to their original location of the audit exercise.
- Help finance unit in moving documents in the office system for approval purposes
- With the guidance of the finance Assistant/officer Scan any Finance Document before sending it to the country office for month closing.
- Assist the finance officer on documentation, preparation of cash disbursement voucher for all cash transactions related to Maiduguri field office.
- Ensure all transactions are in compliance with IRC accounting policy, Donor restriction and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain confidentiality of all financial and other job related information.
- Attend and participate in trainings identified/organized by your supervisor
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct (in-country and World-wide) as per the IRC reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of refugees by IRC and other humanitarian workers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
- Diploma in Accounts or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from recognized College/Institutions.
- A minimum of one (1) year of accounting experience including NYSC service year. Computer literate with significant knowledge/experience in excel
- Work Experience: previous experience in similar role is an added advantage.
- Able to work in a high pressure situation,
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize task and manage time.
- Strong inter-personal skills, and open to learn new skills
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible and punctual
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English.
Note: Female qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required;
- Experience in report writing, data collection and analysis;
- Must have good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English Hausa and Fulfulde
- Demonstration of good presentation skills will be an added advantage
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- MUST be able to communicate and write in English, Hausa, Fulfulde and Kanuri
- Describe the work environment of the office “Standard office work environment” will be applicable for most jobs in the U.S.) and if applicable, the housing. For example, internet connections, electricity, amenities, group housing, etc. Include travel requirements.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter