Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Promoter IEC (Information, Education, Communication) Officer
Location: NOMA Project, Sokoto
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Implement Health Promotion/IEC (Information, Education, Communication) activities with patients and local population to raise their knowledge and skills on relevant medical topics.
- Inform patients and communities about MSF and services it provides.
- According to medical priorities, deliver information to the patients and community on specific health topics
- Implement activities of health education and awareness (sessions in schools, churches, community), under the indications and supervision of the HP Supervisor.
- Under the guide of HP Supervisor, assess the impact of activities (with questions, verifications and behaviors observations), and report problems, success and constraints to him/her.
- Collect all type of information related to specific health and living conditions of the population, in particular to identify the most vulnerable populations to target.
- Report to HP Supervisor: activities, problems met, strengths and constraints.
- Establish and maintain contacts with social partners, including other NGO’s, governmental health services that can provide answers to social problems.
- Keep education and communication areas clean and tidy and professional materials available.
- Participate in creation of any material needed for the activities of information, education and communication.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Plan and organize weekly sensitization and awareness campaigns/meetings/health education sessions on NOMA with different target groups in collaboration with focal and key persons in the community and in the Noma Children Hospital
- Promote MSF free medical services available for NOMA patients through focal and key persons in the community during health promotion activities
- Facilitate and conduct timely defaulter tracing including missed appointments with focal persons and ensure patients are back to medical care after proper counseling.
- Provide weekly mentorship to focal persons on health promotion activities with a strong emphasis on prevention of NOMA in the community
- Participate in the development and translation of IEC materials targeting NOMA patients
- Plan and organize weekly disease surveillance with focal persons and ensure early detection and referral of NOMA cases to Hospital
- Degree / Diploma in Social Sciences (Sociology, Social Work), Health Promotion, Public or Environmental Health
- Preferable previous experience in health promotion interventions, social work, community mobilization, health issues sensitization and awareness.
- English is essential, local language desirable
- Computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Service Oriented
- Stress Management
Deadline: 20th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only ONE application should be submitted as multiple applications will NOT be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organisation.