Mondelez International, Inc. empowers people to snack right in over 160 countries around the world. We’re leading the future of snacking with iconic brands such as Oreo, belVita and LU biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk, Cadbury Bournvita, TomTom, Cloret, and Trident gum. Our 90,000+ colleagues around the world are key to the success of our business. Great people and great brands. That’s who we are.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Internal Controls Manager, West Africa
Ref ID: R-4789
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time
Job Type: Regular
Internal Audit & Control: Finance
Join our Mission to Lead the Future of Snacking. Make It Uniquely Yours.
- You will partner with financial and operational management in a limited geographic or process area to understand and enhance internal control environments, risks, and mitigation activities to minimize the risk of financial losses, operational inefficiencies and statutory non-compliances caused by the lack of controls or effective governance.
- You will conduct deep-dive analyses on risk areas, provide training on controls, and support management in Control Self-Assessments(CSA) and SOX activities. In addition, you will manage the locally based Internal Control Managers.
How you will contribute
- Manage the Internal Controls team and processes for a country / process including partnering with management to optimize the internal control environment through design, training, monitoring (CCM) and testing (SOX, CSA)
- Contribute to a strong controls and compliance environment at Mondelēz International by providing expert assessment of our policy and controls effectiveness and organization compliance. You will also provide training on policy and controls
- Conduct advisory reviews on the identified risk areas. You will also support management in SOX testing / driving the Control Self-Assessment (CSA) exercise. In addition, you will address ad hoc requests made by management as it relates to process, risks and controls
- Drive for harmonization, efficiencies and improvements to ways of working and build a mindset of continuous improvement within the Internal Controls team
- Build a high-performing team through coaching and developing auditors. You will also contribute to Mondelez International’s Finance talent agenda in your area of scope.
What you will bring
A desire to drive your future and accelerate your career. You will bring experience and knowledge in:
- Technical Expertise in internal controls and audit practices including expertise in risk/control frameworks, enterprise risk management processes, financial policies and procedures, U.S. GAAP/IFRS and SOX requirements
- Business Acumen with an understanding of business practices within the country with knowledge in financial reporting, sourcing, supply chain, marketing, information systems, sales, shared service and customer service operations. Significant and relevant external/internal audit experience in a Big Four accounting firm and/or in a large global corporation. General understanding of enterprise resource planning applications
- Leadership Skills including proven business partnering and communication skills across a large global, public company; experience working as a finance leader managing a diverse, cross-functional and business partner teams to drive compliance environment
- Growth / Digital Mindset and the ability to identify strategic opportunities and leverage technology to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Integrity and sound judgement in all decisions and interactions aligned with our values and policies and external regulations
Purpose of the Role
- Internal Controls Manager will report to the Internal Controls Senior Manager MEA (SSA & MENAP). The position is primary responsible for overseeing the company’s control environment and managing corporate risk to ensure assets and income streams are appropriately protected.
- This position is responsible to support execution of global Internal Controls plan and execution of the local Internal Audit Statutory activities, as it relates to the following:
- Control Self-Assessment (CSA)
- Risk Assessment and Board Evaluation, as per local statutory requirements
- Period updates to local Audit Committee and presentation of the Internal Audit Activity Report.
- The position will primarily support West Africa (Nigeria and Ghana), but it will also support broader AMEA IC activities. This may also include support to other region / markets.
- Internal Controls Advisory reviews and Projects
- Continuous Control Monitoring (CCM)
- Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC)
This role is also required to:
- Advise business process owners on processes and controls improvements,
- Support fraud and special investigation reviews on ad hoc basis
- Act as value-add business partner for stakeholders within the company,
- Deal with external auditors on SOX and audit matters.
- Support the business on identifying controls gaps and designing adequate management action plans,
- Support business projects and transformations from controls perspective
- Provide training to business process owners on controls requirements
Perform / Support all IC & statutory IA activities related to the design and maintenance of internal controls & compliance environment. Specifically:
- Support / Execute of IC core activities: Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Controls Self-Assessments (CSA),
- Segregation of Duties Monitoring, Continuous Controls Monitoring
- Advisory role on projects to ensure key risks and controls are addressed and adhered to and directing the Project team to reach commercially viable decisions that captures controls and ensures effectiveness and efficiencies.
- Provide input on risk factors for area of responsibilities and other issues to assist in continuous risk assessment of the region.
- Participate as an advisor to senior leaders and process owners to implement action plans to remediate identified control deficiencies and improve the overall control environment.
- Support fraud and special investigation reviews on ad hoc basis
- Help to coordinate activities related to external / internal audit to increase process efficiency.
- Quickly learn and understand diverse business processes/systems, assess the adequacy of internal controls mitigating unacceptable business risks and develop an effective risk-based approach.
- Assess (on an on-going and ad-hoc basis) the internal control environment and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- Participate / Lead projects as defined in annual Regional Internal Controls Plan (Projects, Advisory Reviews) on local, area or regional level
- Support for IBS transformation projects
- Participate in key business initiatives as needed
- Provide advisory support to Mondelez business owners in timely and adequate completion of CSAs
- Lead SOX reviews including updating control documentation in GRC database and providing oversight to executed remote testing
- Assist in timely resolution of the open CCM queries with the relevant control owners
- Provide / Lead trainings to MDLZ business owners on minimum control requirements and best practices
- Actively participate in establishment of new policies, procedures and business processes / system implementations to ensure that proper controls are embedded
Skils, Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
Skills / Competencies:
- Communication / Presentation
- Conflict management
- Integrity / Trust
- Result driven
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Business acumen
- Critical mindset.
- Learning on fly
- Problem solving
- Business partnering
- Professional internal controls, audit or accounting certification preferred
- Min 5-7 years of professional experience; some years of internal controls or audit related experience within a Big-4 accounting firm and/or large corporation’s internal audit or controls department preferred.
- Experience in finance role is a plus.
- US GAAP/IFRS experience preferred
- SAP knowledge preferred
- FMCG / Manufacturing experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of risk/control frameworks required
- Sarbanes-Oxley experience required
- Ability to develop strong and lasting relationships with all levels of management
- Ability to think and work analytically
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a diverse multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work with teams based in remote/ off-site locations.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to lead, coordinate projects and guide people.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Goal-oriented and outgoing with strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Easy adoption of change
Relocation Support Available?
- No Relocation support available, however for candidates voluntarily moving internationally some minimal support is offered through our Volunteer International Transfer Policy.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Mondelez International is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter