Sahel Consulting Agriculture & Nutrition Limited (SCANL) is a leading management consulting firm focused on the agricultural and nutrition sectors in Africa. We partner with government agencies, private sector companies and leading international development organizations to conduct research, analyze policies, develop strategies and implement programs that promote sustainable food security and improved nutrition. We have worked on a variety of projects across West Africa, including in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal.
Sahel Consulting and SNV Netherlands Development Organization (www.snv.org ) are looking for experienced candidates in preparation of an expected Request for Proposals by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands for a 4-year vegetable project, with most of its activities in Kano and Kaduna states. Staff can be based in Abuja or in the target areas of the project.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Advisor – Enabling Environment
Location: Abuja (FCT)
- Facilitate result-oriented agenda setting for horticulture sector issues within Kaduna and Kano, Oyo and Ogun States with LGAs, Ministries of Agriculture, farmer and business associations, companies
- Facilitate activities aligned to agenda setting, in close collaboration with key actors, fostering collaboration between different levels in the horticulture sector
- Organise B2B (Business to Business) events at state- and national-level
- Facilitate state-level horticulture strategies for Kano and Kaduna, Oyo and Ogun states and support Ministries of Agriculture in implementation through facilitation and coordination.
- Facilitate a sector learning agenda and coordinate for its implementation, organise events and partnerships
- Commission studies and publications to support agenda setting and learning agenda, and collaborate with Dutch horticulture knowledge organisations where possible
- Manage Technical Assistance, task forces, and training packages for government agencies and sector organisations with regards to policy development, implementation and follow-up
- Work closely with relevant associations on the above, to ensure sustainability of sector coordination beyond the project period
- Location: Abuja, regular visits to Kano, Kaduna, Oyo, Ogun states.
- Proven track-record in facilitating high-level meetings as well as bottom-up advocacy and lobby processes
- Strong network involving government agencies, farmer and business associations, civil society organisations, preferably related to the horticulture sector
- 5-years work experience in policy development, implementation and follow-up with government agencies.
Job Title: Senior Advisor – Policy Development
Locations: Kaduna and Kano
Employment Type: Full-time
- Facilitate agenda setting for horticulture sector issues within Kaduna and Kano states with LGAs, ministries of agriculture, farmer and business associations, companies.
- Facilitate activities aligned to agenda setting, in close collaboration with key actors, fostering collaboration between different levels in the sector.
- Facilitate state-level horticulture strategies for Kano and Kaduna, and support ministries of agriculture in implementation through facilitation and coordination. Alternatively, develop state-level multi-stakeholder horticulture road-maps
- Facilitate a sector learning agenda and coordinate for its implementation, organise events and partnerships.
- Commission studies and publications to support agenda setting and learning agenda and collaborate with Dutch knowledge organisations where possible.
- Manage TA and training packages for government agencies and sector organisations with regards to policy development, implementation and follow-up.
- 5 years work experience in policy development, implementation and follow-up with government agencies.
- Proven track-record in facilitating high-level meetings as well as bottom-up processes
- Strong network and position with government agencies, farmer and business associations, civil society organisations.
Application Deadline 5th June, 2021.
Job Title: Horticulture Innovation Expert
Locations: Lagos, Ogun and Oyo
- Stimulating supply and demand of low/medium tech-oriented horticulture products and solutions
- Support service providers to increase their markets in the low/medium tech-oriented horticulture sector
- Organise on-farm demonstrations for farmers applying low/medium tech tunnel/nethouse/greenhouse production
- Facilitate B2B (Business to Business) linkages between agri-consultants, input and equipment suppliers, farmers, buyers, financial institutions
- Develop information packages, including cost benefit overviews for various tunnel technologies, and make use of (social) media to create awareness among target groups on the benefits of applying specific mid-tech technologies
- Facilitate agreements with supermarket chains, their suppliers, covering improved logistics and dealing with upmarket vegetables
- Connect with relevant Dutch expertise and technology where appropriate.
- Understanding of the service market offering innovative technical solutions for horticulture use
- Minimal 10 years experience with mid-tech horticulture technologies such as tunnel / nethouse / greenhouse production in African context,
- Proven track record in supporting production systems involving a variety of vegetables, including regular and up-market crops
- Minimal 5 years experience as an agri-consultant providing support to nethouse / greenhouse / tunnel production in Nigeria, focused on technological improvements, organising on-farm demonstrations, production planning, agronomic advice, market linkages
- Well networked with agri-consultants, farmers, financial institutions, vegetable supply & demand actors in Oyo and Ogun state
- Applied cost benefit analysis, return on investments calculations for net house/ greenhouse/ tunnel production systems
- Conversant with Yoruba language is preferred.
Application Deadline 18th June, 2021.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Expected starting date of the project is quarter four of 2021 and is contingent on donor funding.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.