BASF West Africa Limited – At BASF, we create chemistry for a sustainable future. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. The employees in the BASF Group work on contributing to the success of our customers in nearly all sectors and almost every country in the world. Our portfolio is organized into five segments: Chemicals, Performance Products, Functional Materials & Solutions, Agricultural Solutions and Oil & Gas.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Legal and Compliance Officer
Job ID: 59401
Job Field: Legal, Tax & Insurance
Job Conditions: Permanent
What you can expect:
- The incumbent will be responsible to provide immediate legal troubleshooting and drive the local compliance culture across the BASF Group Companies in West Africa.
Duties will include the following:
- Contribute as an in-house legal counsel for all legal matters and all governance and compliance matters in West Africa
- Provide professional advice for ODs and Service Units of BASF with a high degree of independence and responsibility
- Represent BASF with external stakeholders and possible involvement with regulators
- Offer full-service legal support for projects and operations in West Africa including drafting/review commercial contracts
- Assess business cases from a variety of legal viewpoints
- Budget responsibility for and management of outside counsel
- Provide input into the development of the Legal, and Compliance Strategy
- Provide support in strategic projects
- Oversee risk assessments & processes and make the relevant recommendations to minimize risks
- Arrange and present awareness and training seminars and sessions on relevant legislation to affected business units, and monitor post-training compliance
- Coach, support, mentor and challenge team members and line managers in the application of legislative laws, policies and practices.
- Be a competent and trusted partner for business and management on all levels
- Living the matrix: involving relevant counterparts in headquarter to contribute to virtual legal teams for the respective ODs and Service Units
- Provide legal inputs into the development of new business models for market entry
- Develop, recommend compliance measures and assist in implementing those measures, including the compliance program
- Monitor business activities and provide regular general alerts or notices on potential legislative transgressions to relevant business units
- Structure, negotiate and draft/review contracts
What we expect:
- University qualification: LLB Degree
- Minimum 5 years working experience including corporate law, contract law, international trade law experience and experience of interaction with Regulators
- Demonstrate understanding of current legal rules and regulations
- Responsibility from day one in a challenging work environment and on-the-job training as part of a committed team.
- Competitive compensation including attractive benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international. company.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 28th September, 2021.