The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Local Security Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2021.46
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Organizational Unit: Office of Staff Security (OSS)
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- In light of the emerging crisis, the scale of Office of Staff Security (OSS) support in Nigeria is growing exponentially. It is therefore crucial to recruit a Local Security Assistant whose role will be to assist in the implementation of International Organization for Migration (IOM) safety and security policies, and guidelines related to IOM operations in Adamawa state.
- Under the direct supervision of Head of Sub Office (HoSo) Yola – Nigeria and the technical supervision of the Field Security Officer (FSO) in IOM Nigeria, and in close collaboration with program managers the successful candidate will assist on all management matters related to UN Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS) booking, OSS operations, and OSS assets in IOM Yola.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of FSO in Maiduguri, assist in the development and implementation of security strategies, related to the Yola office security.
- Support the FSO in all tactical, operational, and strategic security matters that impact IOM’s staff safety and security and IOM’s operations in Adamawa state.
- Ensure that security administration activities (travel clearances, UNDSS trip profiles, staff lists, staff compliancy status etc.) for Yola staff are properly maintained and archived for future access when required.
- Undertake all radio technician responsibilities, designs and updates Call Sign lists, trains Drivers, staff and contracted guards on VHF/HF radios and maintain overall operability of emergency communications systems and issuance and maintenance of radios as applicable.
- Maintain good relationship / liaison and coordination with UNDSS and other local security stakeholders at the appropriate level.
- Monitor the contracted security guards and ensures that posts are always manned through the guard field supervisor and ensure all security assets and equipment issued to the guards are inspected regularly.
- Control and track OSS assets and, where necessary the issuance and return of those assets. Ensure there is proper maintenance of OSS assets.
- Collaborate with the FSO, assist to or conduct physical security survey of offices, security protocols (mandatory Security training) vehicles and staff residences to ensure compliancy with Security Risk Management (SRM) and Residential Risk Management (RSM) measures.
- Efficiently monitor the local security situation and reports significant events/incidents in a timely manner to the appropriate management/staff using prescribed reporting forms and modalities. Ensure the reports are disseminated in a timely manner to the appropriate IOM staff and offices. Gather, verify and share security information related to IOM operation, staff and assets with security staff unit or as instructed by FSO.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree / Certificate in Social Science, Administration, Law Enforcement or Certified Graduation from military / police academy, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant experience in UN, INGOs, Military, police forces or Diploma in the above fields with four years of relevant working experience
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with others with diverse professional backgrounds.
- Training in emergency and disaster response is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of UN / INGOs security management
- Experience of using security and communication Equipment including SAT phones and VHF/HF radio system.
- Good political and social knowledge of Northeastern Nigeria.
- Computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel are strongly required.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.46.Yola Local Security Assistant (Office of Staff Security (OSS)).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 9th June, 2021.