Citibank Nigeria Limited (CNL) was incorporated in Nigeria on May 2, 1984 and the oldest international bank in the country. It provides a wide range of financial products and services to corporate and commercial customers, financial institutions and public sector organizations. It offers deposit and loan products, global transaction services, cash management, sales and trading, corporate finance and investment banking products.
The company was formerly known as Nigeria International Bank Ltd and changed its name to Citibank Nigeria in 2008. Today it employs about 300 people and operates 12 branches in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Warri, Kano, Bonny, Aba, Lanlate and Ososa. As at December 31, 2016, it had over NGN 600 billion in total assets. Citibank Nigeria is owned by Citibank Overseas Investment Corporation, a subsidiary of Citibank N.A. (USA).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Managing Director – Head of Corporate Bank, SSA
Job Req ID: 22478450
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Type: Full-time
Job Category: Business Strategy, Management & Administration
Job Family Group: Institutional Banking
Job Family: Business Management
Job Background / Context
- The Corporate Bank which functions across SSA, is the relationship management team for the parented top tier SSA corporate clients in various sectors including metals and mining, telecoms and media, retailers, general industrials, financial institutions and non-bank financial institutions, and Government and public sector.
- The Head of Corporate Banking for SSA is the “face” of Citi’s Corporate Bank in the region; as such the individual is the senior Corporate Banking client representative for the region.
- The role combines the complex challenges of balancing growth of the franchise and governance; requiring dynamic leadership and focused execution.
- The Head of Corporate Banking for SSA is responsible for developing and monitoring a client driven franchise growth plan which is delivered through strong people and franchise management across the SSA region.
- Driving the execution of the pivotal Corporate Bank One-ICG Coverage Banker strategy is critical to aligning success with all our ICG partners.
- The Corporate Bank Head must drive a healthy balance between near-term and long-term priorities allowing the franchise to prosper from market driven opportunities as well as positioning Citi over the long run to best serve our evolving client needs.
- Escalation of many issues lands on the Corporate Banking Head’s desk – the individual must leverage past experience to quickly process situations and recommend thoughtful and fair actions always applying Citi’s key principles.
- Sets high standards and achieves performance objectives by creating a clear path toward ethical and sustainable results
- Translates Citi’s strategy into an effective and efficient Corporate Bank business plan while proactively overcoming obstacles
- Partners with key stakeholders including Risk and GCM to allocate capital prudently and appropriately to generate best possible returns while ensuring disciplined adherence to all Citi risk policies
- Drives a suitable balance between internal management and external client time, both personally and for the Corporate Bank as a whole
- Pursues results through joint accountability and a strong working partnership with all ICG key stakeholders, including full deployment of the ICG Coverage Banker project
- Creates accountability within the Corporate Bank by setting measurable business and cultural goals for the region
- Demonstrates personal leadership in the origination and execution of structuring and financing of transactions
- Performs regular reviews of the Corporate Bank strategies and key initiatives to ensure they are in line with industry trends and Citi’s strategic focus and goals
- Drives the team to meet revenue and other financial goals by ensuring the Corporate Bank actively cross sells all products across the full ICG platform, while adhering to Citi’s key principles
Lives our Values:
- Ensures systemically responsible outcomes while driving performance and balancing short and long term risks
- Creates and communicates a clear vision for how the Corporate Bank can provide future value in the marketplace
- Leads by example: willing to make difficult choices in support of Citi and our stakeholders, within high standards of ethics
- Works closely with all partners to ensure the Corporate Bank fulfills its reaffirmed role of being at the center of the CIB’s relationship management strategy by driving client planning, product agnostic cross sell, client access, and effective capital allocation within the ICG Coverage Banker proposition
- Is accountable for the regional budget, risk management, and credit allocation in partnership with GCM and Risk
- Ensures that client relationships and proposed client solutions meet or exceed internal risk and return standards, including stringent ethical standards, and anticipated future changes in the marketplace
- Proactively and robustly addresses issues as they arise
- Champions a culture of high standards, pushes for progress, embraces change and challenges the status quo in support of Citi’s vision and global strategy
- Communicates a vision for the Corporate Bank that is forward looking and responsive to changes in the environment
- Inspires enthusiasm and mobilizes resources for productive and innovative change within a cost constrained environment
- Exhibits confidence and agility in challenging times
- Sets a positive tone when implementing Citi-wide change initiatives
- Ensures that the CB delivers holistic client relationship management that exceeds client expectations
- Communicates a vision that is forward looking and responsive to changes in the environment
Develops our People:
- Builds talent and teams for Citi by creating a culture of meritocracy and transparency, and celebrating excellence, initiative and courage
- Creates an environment where people hold themselves to the highest ethical standards
- Models personal growth and consistently provides coaching and feedback in support of ongoing development and retention
- Attracts great talent, builds a diverse talent pipeline, and recognizes, rewards, promotes based on performance in partnership with CIB Leadership and HR, efficiently manages the SSA Corporate Banking team by building a strong and deep banker team and a robust and diverse talent pipeline in view of the skills and competencies required to excel as an ICG Coverage Banker
- Ensures all leadership roles have succession plans which are reviewed at least annually and include a focus on developing a pipeline of regional talent
- Regularly benchmarks Citi’s talent within the market
Drives Value for Clients:
- Enables economic value and positive social impact for clients, companies, governments, and communities
- Puts clients first by anticipating, understanding, and exceeding their expectations and needs
- Acts as a trusted partner to clients by delivering superior advice, products and services
- Brings the best of Citi and knowledge of global issues and market trends to create value and good will with clients
- Drives innovation, competitive differentiation and speed to market
- Responsible as the Senior Corporate Banking representative for key SSA clients
- Understand regional and emerging market trends to identify growth opportunities and anticipate challenges
- Establish senior level relationship with Regulators, other Financial Institutions, and other stakeholders
Knowledge / Experience
- Extensive Post graduate banking experience.
- In-depth understanding of compliance issues, global and local regulatory requirements.
- Experience in working with and within a matrix organization and cross-functional teams.
- In-depth understanding of banking products – loans / debts (short and long-term), cash management, trade products and finance, FX, interest rate hedging, liquidity management; corporate & structured finance; DCM; derivatives products;
- Strong knowledge of investment banking offerings (advisory, equity).
- In-depth industry knowledge.
- Proven existing customer relationships.
- Proven track record of senior relationships.
- Tertiary Education – Post Graduate.
- Demonstrates ability to draw consensus quickly and act decisively within a challenging, cost constrained environment which require strong change management skills
- Strong leadership, relationship building, and people management
- Minimum of 5 years experience of managing large, diverse teams
- Proven execution skills in prior assignments
- Strong risk, control, and capital management skills (strong preference for SCO Level)
- Understands ICG products and possesses a deep knowledge of the Citi network
- Ability to manage and work across a diverse and multi-country matrix structure
- Ability to effectively represent Citi to outside constituents including regulatory agencies
- Proven ability to leverage the Citi global network & handle complex, challenging environment.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to take the initiative, self- starter.
- Ability to handle conflict effectively.
- Team Player.
- Proven ability to originate and close complex deals / solutions.
- Proven ability to act as a financial advisor.
- Ability to coordinate and manage customer credit & marketing activity in a number of different countries.
- Ability to manage risk in portfolio.
- Driven and results oriented.
- Sound Business judgment.
- Integrity, Respect and Balance.
- Tolerance for risk
- High tolerance for ambiguity.
- Accountability & Ownership.
- Respect for Compliance & Control.
- Work as a Partner.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply