Youth Development and Empowerment Initiative (YEDI) is a not-for-profit organization that delivers evidence-based programs, in schools and communities, designed to build young people’s assets, facilitate their access to health services, and promote their adherence to healthy behaviors. Since its inception in 2011, YEDI has benefitted over 220,000 young people in schools and community sites in Lagos, Abuja, Akwa-Ibom, and Ogun State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEL Coordinator
Employment Type: Full-time
- We seek a qualified candidate for the position of MEL Coordinator to support MEL activities for programmes that are designed to educate, empower and inspire the development of individuals and communities, especially children and youth, through effective, innovative, and tried-and-tested development approaches that are relevant for the Nigerian context.
- The MEL Officer will operate under the leadership of the MERL Manager and is responsible for supporting monitoring, evaluation and learning activities in all sites supported through YEDI.
- Provide M&E technical support in developing: baseline surveys, mid-point reviews, end-point evaluations and logical framework analyses with indicators that can be used to measure progress.
- Develop a monitoring system that can be used for reporting and dissemination of input and output indicators.
- Plan and manage quantitative and qualitative surveys and studies, data collection and analysis.
- Organise and provide training or refresher training in M&E skills for YEDI staff and coaches.
- Utilise M&E information systems, updating the projects, activities and indicators on a routine basis.
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support the implementation of M&E and to identify where adaptations and revisions may be needed.
- Guide the regular sharing of outputs of M&E findings with staff, implementing partners and other stakeholders.
- Performing any other tasks assigned by your supervisors.
- The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be working at our Gbagada Office in Lagos, Nigeria. Some travel within Nigeria can be expected.
- Develops tools and procedures for monitoring impact and quality assurance of data and information.
- Work with stakeholders to set out frameworks and procedures for project M&E.
- Conducts research to inform programmes, projects, activities and interventions.
- Prepare consolidated progress reports on M&E findings for project management.
- Review monitoring reports; analyse them for impact evaluation and to identify causes of bottlenecks in project implementation.
Key Performance Indicators
- Monitoring and Evaluation (60%)
- Programme Management (20%)
- Stakeholder Management (10%)
- Financial Management/Governance (10%).
Monitoring and Evaluation (60%):
- You will perform those duties and functions that may be reasonably expected of someone in your position. The monitoring and evaluation officer is responsible for monitoring of project outcomes against work plans and targets; support project planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Program Management (20%):
- Provide input in programme activities at the State level including timely reporting of all activities conducted, budget development, expenditure monitoring and execution of project plans.
- Provide input in the development of work plans and programme implementation, including supporting training and capacity building, community-based sensitisation and engagement, testing and counselling, appropriate linkage and referral to health facilities, and support for retention in SRHR/FP/HIV services, according to work plans, targets, national policy, guidelines, and programme SOPs.
- Work closely with MERL Manager in identifying project staff capacity development needs through periodic performance evaluations.
- Assist in planning and coordinating periodic staff meetings across programme regions to foster learning.
Stakeholder Management (10%):
- Work closely with other programme teams in planning and implementing MEL activities including supportive supervision and development of reports as required.
- Assist to plan and coordinate periodic partner meetings.
Financial Management/Governance (10%):
- In consultation with YEDI’s Director of Finance and Accountant, prepare the annual budget for MEL activities.
- Implement and ensure compliance with the YEDI’s Policies, processes and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Experience, Skills, and Minimum Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Social Science, Public Health or related field strongly preferred. Bachelor’s Degree required.
Experience & Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in designing and implementing the MEL system at the managerial level in Youth/SRHR or related field development in Nigeria.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in managing the MEL system for multinational funded youth-focused projects in Nigeria.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience directly supervising or managing multidisciplinary teams of at least 10 staff, with demonstrated skills in leading professional teams on MEL activities.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g. quantitative and qualitative) and data collection and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Good knowledge of computer software and analytical packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, SPSS, Survey Monkey and other multimedia communication platforms like Skype is required.
- Must be able to work within a cross-cultural setting, negotiate diplomacy, and function well under pressure.
- Exceptional ability to work independently and autonomously.
- Fluency in the English language. Knowledge of other Nigerian local languages is an added advantage.
- Passion for working with youth.
- Demonstrated excellent sense of responsibility and discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and document observed activities.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and accurate reports.
- Ability to travel domestically as required (25-50%), field experience is required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resume (not exceeding 3 pages) and a Cover Letter explaining how you meet the minimum requirements for the role via email to: [email protected] using “MEL Coordinator” as the subject of the email
Application Deadline 20th August, 2021.