United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National U-Report and RapidPro Individual Contractor
Job Number: 540658
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Consultancy, Programme Management
Contract Duration: (11.5 months) .
For Every Child, a Champion
Currently, UReport, WASH and Child Protection use RapidPro within UNICEF. There are plans to use Rapidpro to promote real time evidence gathering as well as support data utilization. Integration of UReport via Rapidpro will also lead to increased use by youths from the community at the national and sub national levels.
How Can You Make a Difference?
Under the supervision of the Innovation Specialist, the selected candidate will undertake the following assignment:
Youth Citizen Engagement, Participation & Feedback:
- Keep U-Reporters engaged, share results and feedback.
- Ensure the timely production and amplification of U-Report polls.
- Create and update U-Report information centres/bots.
- Establish two ways communication tools using Rapid Pro including live chats with U-Partners to allow communities to ask questions on topics they care about and to obtain real time information to inform programs.
- Work closely with the Emergency Unit to build U-Report projects that enhance emergency preparedness and response.
- Work closely with the Generation Unlimited to support Digital Skills Development, Work readiness programmes and other youth engagement activities.
Real-Time Monitoring (RTM):
- Support programme sections in gathering and refining requirements for deployment of RapidPro-based solutions.
- Work closely with sections, Operations and field offices to infuse real-time data into strengthening programmes and to support awareness, behaviour change and mobilization efforts to support specific community activities.
Vendor and Partnerships Management:
- Liaise with technical service providers to support the adaptation / development of new products in line with requirements of programme sections work related to U-Report, Rapid Pro, digital and SMS Engagement.
- Manage and maintain existing partnerships with key vendors and partners such as the RapidPro hosting company and telecommunication companies.
- Identify and build on existing partnerships to increase the number of U-Reporters and their engagement, online and in their community.
Learning Coordination and Convening:
- Ensure comprehensive documentation and visibility of the U-Report, Digital and SMS engagement initiatives.
- Ensure effective sharing and generation of knowledge around youth engagement within UNICEF.
- An advanced University degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related technical field.
- A minimum of four years of professional experience in Communications, Digital Engagement, Youth engagement, Information technology management and business operations in a large international organization and/or corporation
- Knowledge and proven experience using of using RapidPro and U-Partner’s platforms
- Experience in a UN organization is an asset
- Good knowledge of current trends in youth participation and new media, as well as a good understanding of development issues, world affairs and current events
- Good communications and writing skills in English.
- Bachelor’s degree in the above fields, with additional two years of relevant experience will be considered.
For every Child, You Demonstrate:
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness
- Works Collaboratively with others
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships
- Innovates and Embraces Change
- Thinks and Acts Strategically
- Drives to achieve impactful results
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
Click Here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination.
- UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.