The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant, Knowledge Hub
Job ID: 35805
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – PROGRAMME
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
UNDP Nigeria has established a Knowledge Hub to enhance its ability to make timely and evidence-based interventions, particularly in areas of Preventing and Responding to Violent Extremism, conflict prevention and human security. A new type of ‘development intelligence gathering’, i.e. continuous monitoring and data collection, is crucial to inform UNDP’s work for early warning, adjust interventions to maximize preventive efforts and initiate new thematic approaches. Trend analyses and ad-hoc policy briefs will also inform interventions of UNDP’s development partners in this field.
Through harnessing the potential offered by both old and new sources of data, it is UNDP’s hope that the accuracy and precision of its development responses are increased and a strong foundation for meaningful public policy making, efficient resource allocation and effective public service delivery is created. The Knowledge Hub is set up to sustain UNDP Nigeria’s evidence-base regarding root causes of insecurity and violent extremism, Small Arms proliferation as well as strategic interventions of the CO and further develop this evidence base through the establishment of a database of ‘development intelligence’, made available for the UN Country Team in Nigeria and other development partners.
The ultimate objective of the Knowledge Hub is to harness data, including real time data, for development through providing evidence-based intelligence that can be translated to meaningful policies and planning for development impact.
The Knowledge Hub consists of three complementary Units that work in mutual complementarity, cross-pollination and strong collaboration, which is required because of the highly specialized individual expertise in each of the units.
Data Analysis Unit, which will focus on collection of primary data, establishment and maintenance of a database of ‘development intelligence’, the analysis of the data collected as well reporting of the results. This unit will include five data analysts specializing in the following areas; big data, GIS/geospatial analysis, visualisation, survey methodology and econometrics/social sciences.
Reporting & Programming Unit, which will produce reports and tools using primary data collected into ongoing and future programming of the entire UN Country Team in the domains of PVE, conflict prevention and human security.
Partnerships Unit, which will manage strategic partnerships with third party (local) researchers throughout Nigeria, as well as with local and international (academic) institutions for quality assurance of the knowledge products.
At present, UNDP Knowledge Hub seeks to recruit a Programme Assistant to carry out support functions for the Unit. The Project Assistant will be recruited by UNDP and will be reporting directly to the UNDP Knowledge Hub Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Knowledge Hub Coordinator and in close collaboration with the Unit in the CO, the Programme Assistant will perform the following functions:
- Providing daily support on timely execution of project approved work plans;
- Efficient travel arrangements provided for the team as required, ensuring proper use of UNDP resources and client satisfaction;
- Undertake and support project implementation and procurement activities according to UNDP workflows including contracting consultants, institutional contracts and organization of workshops and travel, processing of F10s, DSAs, etc;
- Support the development, management and financial processess of various current and future agreements under different modalities (ICs, LOAs, RPAs, etc.), including but not limited to following necessary processes for the development of ToRs, recruitment stages, payments and disbursements, etc.;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system including timely corrective actions on budget check errors, match exceptions, reversals, as well as cost-sharing deficit and PDR errors;
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, registration of goods receipt in Atlas;
- Undertake and keep track of budget checks for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
- Assisting in monitoring the progress throughout the programme, including through relevant project updates required in Atlas, updating of AWPs, etc.;
- Assisting the project manager in coordinating the exchange of information among the programme partners;
- Providing required support in organizing/conducting programme activities;
- Provision of administrative services and financial related services for meetings, seminars, workshops;
- Supporting other programme-related activities as required by the programme management.
Impact of Results
- Satisfactory outputs based on activities listed under scope of work.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Proactively identifies new opportunities and challenges
- Recommends options for addressing work challenges
- Assumes responsibility for decisions and outcome of one’s work
- Engages with other to address job opportunities and challenges
- Communication and Relationship Management:
- Understands, explains and shares information on assigned tasks with accuracy and clarity
- Demonstrates regular and consistent communication frequency with supervisor and colleagues
- Proactively shares information within and across teams
- Analyzes complex technical materials (including data) and makes concise, relevant recommendations
- Contributes reliable production of knowledge services and transactions
- Embraces new methods.
- Takes ownership of responsibilities
- Recognizes potential road blocks to completing tasks and seeks guidance from supervisors to address issues.
- Based on formal and informal feedback received, takes action to address areas for growth and improvement
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services
- Embraces expanded responsibilities and challenges self to excel
- Accepts responsibility for the outcomes of own work
- Seeks to deepen awareness of organizational policies and procedures and how to interpret directives and requests, in consultation with supervisors and colleagues
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certificate:
- High School Degree plus at least 5 years of experience or a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 2 years of experience.
- Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and / or Social Sciences or related field is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Proven knowledge and experience working in UN/DP programme/project implementation processes as well as within UN/DP operational structures;
- Proven experience in the use of ATLAS (UNDP ERP system);
- Proven knowledge and experience working with UNDP procurement and financial rules and regulation;
- Excellent organizational skill, service-mind, punctual, self-motivated, and proactive; experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Experience in computer and MS Office package, particularly proficiency in Excel;
- Previous work experience overseeing administrative work and/or logistics support
- Previous experience with the UN System and UNDP.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process.
- Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
- Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
- Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 18th March, 2021