Options Consultancy Services Limited was established in 1992 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International. We are a consultancy organisation providing technical and management expertise in the health and social sectors to governments and international development partners to transform the health of women and children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Delivery Officer
Contract Type: Full-time, permanent
Reporting to: Head of Programmes’ Resource Unit
Liaison with: Options’ UK-based and international programme staff
Hours: Full-time, as per the country office standard working times
Type of Contract: Permanent
Main Purpose of the Job
- The Programme Delivery Officer will be focussed on providing support at the programme management level to Options’ large and small programmes, to ensure adherence to high quality programme management.
- The post-holder will be deployed to provide long and short-term guidance and support to programmes across Options’ portfolio. The role will also be responsible for developing and integrating appropriate tools and systems that are aligned with our approach to project cycle management. For smaller strategic projects, the role will also provide direct programme management support.
The role has four areas of responsibilities:
- Support the Programme Delivery Advisor in implementing the Options project cycle management approach. Provide support and guidance to programme management colleagues across a range of programme management areas as required
- Take ownership as the Programme Manager on Options’ small, strategic projects which will be led and managed from the UK, and when needed, be the start-up Programme Manager for larger programmes, handing over to the Programme Team once recruited.
- You will support business development by working closely with our New Business and Partnerships Department; providing programme management inputs to proposal, concept notes, as well as material for external dissemination.
- Provide cross-organisational support by working closely with other departments, management and administrative teams to strengthen operational delivery.
Support in implementing Options project cycle management approach to facilitate high quality programme delivery and performance improvement:
- Working closely with the Programme Delivery Advisor and Head of Programmes’ Resource Unit, support the rollout and uptake of Options project cycle management approach.
- Provide technical programme management training and coaching to Programme Managers as needed.
- Where required, work closely with the Team Leaders / Deputy Team Leaders to oversee the implementation of programme processes ensuring alignment with Options’ quality standards.
- Lead on ensuring the programme management (PM) toolkit is fit for purpose, accessible and utilised across Options’ portfolio, supporting high quality programme management.
- Trial and test tools, adjusting where needed, to ensure they are applicable to the programme, and context and support in standardising programme management.
- Support on reviewing existing grant management tools, templates and approaches, refining and updating where needed.
- Continue to review and streamline the toolkit where possible;
- Manage the PCM toolkit resource listing, being the point person for Programme Managers to liaise with on the toolkit;
- Work closely with finance, HR and legal colleagues to ensure the toolkit is comprehensive, up-to-date and compliant with Options’ policies and donor requirements.
Direct Support as Programme / Project Manager:
- Manage a portfolio of short-term projects or assignments, or longer-term small projects, ensuring compliance with the project cycle management approach at Options;
- Work closely with the technical lead on the project, to contribute to the strategic planning and costing of the project, developing robust and implementable work plans;
- Organise short term consultant inputs including preparation of TORs, sourcing, negotiation, drafting contracts, briefing and management consultants;
- Lead liaison with subcontractors, including preparation of TORs, contracts and budgets and ongoing management of their inputs and deliverables;
- Liaise with clients, implementing agencies and other relevant individuals and organisations as required, and ensure excellent relations are maintained;
- Maintain and manage an assessment of risks to the programme’s successful outcome;
- Supervise programme administration, travel and logistics;
- Manage and support effective communication and cooperation among partners, subcontractors and colleagues.
- Be start-up Programme Manager on larger programmes, handing over to the programmes team once onboarded.
- Track project deliverables, supporting the technical lead and project staff to ensure they meet the required level of quality, are on time and within budget, in accordance with the project plan;
- Management of project budgets, monitoring the expenditure, cost and profit. Providing reports and analysis to the technical lead to enable effective decision making in resource allocation to realise the objectives of the project;
- As agreed with the technical lead and Head of Programmes’ Resource Unit, be responsible for internal reporting requirements such as programme delivery reports, variance analysis, etc;
- Lead on external reporting requirements such as invoicing, project financial forecasting and costed work planning, ensuring compliance with contracts;
Support to Business Development:
- Work with the New Business and Partnerships Department to support development of bids for new projects and programmes, including support in the design of programme management arrangements, team design and sourcing of experts, and proposal budgets;
- Support in developing consortium partners’ roles and responsibilities;
- Provide inputs on operational management and delivery.
- Contribute to knowledge management within the Programmes Department, drawing lessons from programmes and projects in relation to effective programme management;
- Support the Programme Department to track and monitor progress against the company annual plan;
- Provide backstopping support to colleagues during periods of leave.
- Relevant Post-graduate qualification or equivalent knowledge gained from professional experience
- You will have significant experience of programme management, including in planning, budgeting and programme control, risk management and change management in a relevant project and programme environment.
- Experience managing large, complex, donor funded budgets, contracts and contracting, and experience managing relations between a head office and an internationally based team.
- Excellent knowledge and use of programme management and grant management tools, systems and approaches. Knowledge of international development having worked with a multitude of donors, including FCDO.
- You will have excellent financial management, programme budgeting and management skills with strong Microsoft Excel skills and you will be highly organised, working well under pressure.
- Being fluent in English both spoken and written is essential and fluency in French is desirable, both spoken and written.
- Significant experience of programme management, ideally within the international development sector, either in country or from head office Relevant experience of working in a project and programme environment.
- Extensive experience of the development and implementation of programmes within the health sector Proven experience in planning, budgeting and programme control, risk management and change management
- Experience of managing large, complex donor-funded budgets
- Experience of delivering at pace and maintain effective performance in difficult, time-limited and challenging circumstances
- Experience in distance management of relations between a head office and an internationally based team
- Experience of networking to build successful relationships with potential clients, collaborators and consultants
- Experience in fundraising / business development.
- Experience of successful working relationships with partners and consortia members
- Experience of contracts and contracting
- Options offer a comprehensive benefits package, including generous annual leave allowance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th August, 2022.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
- Please note that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks including criminal record check, identification check, employment references and right to work verification (where appropriate).
- As an equal opportunity employer, Options Consultancy Services is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage or civil partnership. We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified candidates from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join Options Consultancy Services.
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- We seek people who are pro-choice, promote diversity and inclusion, are energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision.
- Applicants must have the right to work in the country in which you will be based, in either the UK, Kenya or Nigeria.