Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager – BPRM
Job ID: 210005Z9
Location: Ogoja Field Office, Cross River
Employee Status: Permanent
Post Type: National
Team / Programme: Development Programme
Reports to: Field Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: 5
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Save the Children seeks an experienced Project manager to lead an integrated Child protection and Education project in Ogoja, Nigeria. The Project Manager will ensure effective financial and operational management of the project while working closely with the Filed Manager and the wider Operations Team.
- S/he will oversee the day-to-day implementation of the programme and will be accountable for the effective financial and operational management including planning project activities, estimate time and financial commitments.
- The Project Manager is accountable for delivering Project activities to the agreed quality standards and is responsible to seek and coordinate input as appropriate from the technical teams, to ensure the development and adherence to technical program quality standards, monitoring and evaluation systems, donor and SCI regulations.
- S/he will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on the project’s progress in relation to timely delivery, outputs actual spend, quality and results as compared to the original plans and the project proposal. S/he will manage issues and risk and make recommendations on how to adjust or reallocate resources to accommodate changes and respond to challenges.
- S/he will also be responsible for effective stakeholder relationship management, including developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the donor, government and partner agencies, operating in the State and at federal level.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Field Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 5
- Budget Responsibilities: Approximately 2 million USD per annum
Key Areas of Accountabilities
Programme Implementation and Monitoring:
- Lead the implementation of high quality program activities in line with grant agreement and SC technical and operational requirements
- Ensure that implementation is accelerated and on track in line with approved budget and required quality.
- Support the development of Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and procurement plan and other project management tools.
- Ensure that effective monitoring and performance management systems are in place for achieving prior agreed programme activity targets, budget allocations and financial expenditures, ensuring that value for money can be effectively demonstrated to the donor and activities and expenditures are compliant with donor requirements
- In coordination with technical leads, continually reflect on the extent to which implementation of activities and outputs will lead to the achievement of desired outcomes and make necessary adjustments
- Conduct planning meetings with key program staff, while ensuring adequate planning documents are established and maintained
- Monitor progress of activities against the detailed implementation plan and log frames while evaluating the relevance and appropriateness of the intervention.
- Oversee timely expenditure of project budget, avoiding both underspending and overspending on grant line items.
- Produce high quality reports within agreed reporting schedules.
- Take full responsibility for the delegated budget holding function, participate actively in finance meetings and contribute to financial decision making.
- Ensure programme delivery happens in strict adherence to security policy and procedures.
- Document programme learning, and incorporate analysis and lessons learned into new strategies/activities and advocacy work.
- Identify technical and operational program supply needs and coordinate with logistics teams to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan.
- Prepare timely and quality programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure that activities are appropriately planned, that delays and constraints are documented, and solutions identified.
- Ensure programs are adequately resourced and oversee timely expenditure of approved budgets, ensuring appropriate spend and proper and effective use of program resources.
- Communicate with the Member on the overall progress of implementation, as well as all the key risks and mitigation measures. Timely flag and discuss key challenges, incidents and divergence from the donor-approved plans.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Make frequent visit to project sites to monitor and oversee project implementation and provide technical and managerial guidance/support identifying issues that need timely action and support at different levels.
- Work with the MEAL team to develop tools and ideas to ensure that the program is monitored against measurable and appropriate indicators.
- Ensure regular post distribution monitoring is carried out appropriately, and contributes to situation/response analysis, and any corresponding revision of program plans
- Support program assessments, evaluations and other reviews required in the program.
- Ensure that learning and good practice is gathered, documented and shared with the wider programme.
- Work closely with the Programme MEAL Team the CO MEAL Team to develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans and with managers of technical components to ensure technical program objectives are met.
People Management and Development:
- Strategically plan staffing needs to implement the program, supporting the timely recruitment, orientation, and training of new staff as required
- See that all staff and partners are aware of and understand SCI policies and procedures; take appropriate disciplinary measures as needed.
- Lead, manage and motivate the programme’s staff, ensuring they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance regularly, in collaboration with the human resources department.
- Lead on capacity building of staff through coaching, mentoring and training.
- Create and maintain a cooperative and positive working environment where staff have clear roles and responsibilities, participate in decision-making and are supported in progressing towards their objectives.
- Technical management and supervision of program staff, working closely with the Field Managers to ensure that they have clear objectives and received meaningful feedback on their performance
- Identify development needs, prepare and deliver appropriate training plans, and support program staff to access other relevant training and development opportunities
- Supervise assigned Coordinators: maintain updated job descriptions for each position, conduct annual performance evaluations, identify staff skills development needs.
Representation and Leadership:
- Maintain good working relationships with government officials.
- Represent SC and maintain good working relationships among the international and local NGO community, among community leadership structures and community-based organizations, and to visiting donor teams and other key contacts.
- Maintain focus on SC programme principles.
- Encourage teamwork, openness, and honesty among staff and between SC and its partners
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned by the relevant line manager.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and managing major donor contracts and grants in excess of $1.5mil.
- At least 7 years of experience in programme management and administration, financial management, award contractual compliance, sub-award management, and tracking project performance and costs via specific funding streams. At least Four (4) of these years should be in managing Child protection or Education projects of similar complexity.
- Strong understanding of key principles of advocacy, monitoring and evaluation, child participation and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate, mentor and direct staff while creating a positive team environment.
- Strong skills in coordinating and collaborating with others in partnership.
- Proven track record of solving complex problems through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in.
- Previous working experience in fragile states.
- Demonstrated ability with project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, supervision and performance management, etc.
- Skills and experience in programme monitoring review, reporting and evaluation.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children aims, values and principles.
- Ability to present results and products to the donor and other key stakeholders.
- Experience of project and financial management of multi-partner or agency consortia.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully fulfilling performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Strong representation skills and willingness to speak out for children amongst senior government, donor and diplomatic officials, both at provincial and national level
- Training, facilitation, briefing and presentation skills.
- Experience in proposal development for institutional donors such as GAC, USAID / OFDA, FCDO etc.
- Demonstrated experience of building and leading a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field
- Communication & Interpersonal Skill Level – Excellent
- Language Requirements – English – Excellent
- Level of IT Expertise Required – Good
- Knowledge of current trends, activities and best practices in Nigeria .
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 2nd March, 2022.