West Africa Container Terminal (WACT) is one of the first green field container terminal to be built in Nigeria under public private partnership. WACT is located in Onne port (some 30kms from Port-Harcourt) in Rivers State. We have been successfully connecting East, North, West Central Nigeria and Rivers state to the world. We run a profitable business that has been made possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: RTG Operator
Location: Onne, Rivers
Job Type: Full Time
- Operates rubber tyred gantry cranes to load and unload containers to and from internal and external road trucks in the port.
- Operate the RTG safely according to the received instructions / information from the Yard Supervisor and terminal operating system (TOS) while carrying out all RTG activities (Discharge, load, Re-Stow, Etc.).
- Ensure achieving all agreed targets productivity with Zero Accident
- Assist in the training of employees in the Operation of the RTG as required by Management
- Report all the defects as and when noticed to yard Supervisor & Technical RTG team.
- Follows safe operating procedures and instructions, preventing any injury to persons, or damage to containers and other equipment and property.
- Carries out duties and tasks in an efficient, productive manner.
- Park/Gantry the RTG according to the Traffic Management Plan and Yard Supervisor and equipment handling instructions
- Handle the containers with care (Avoid Rough handling on Trucks).
- Perform equipment precheck at beginning of shift to ensure that all of the parts are operating properly.
- Identifies and reports any safety problems, malfunctions, or damage to quay crane equipment, before, during or after the shift.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Acts as foreman under Hook when not operating the RTG Cranes.
We are looking for:
- Minimum: SCCE / WAEC requirement.
- Requires at least two years or more of equipment operations terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry.
- Previous experience as a reach stacker operator or empty handler would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
- Good hand eye coordination and good sense of depth perception.
- Able to work at heights, No Acrophobia, must have a sense of depth and distance perception.
- Basic English: oral and writing skills. Also, must have a working knowledge of the Pidgin English.
- Previous experience of working in a multi-cultural environment is an advantage.
- Has a current Driving License.
- No past record of safety and operational procedure breaches / warnings
- Is thoroughly familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices terminal operations.
- Requires a comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
- We run a profitable business that has been made possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern
- handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
Contract Type / Duration
The role is on a contract basis for Twelve (12) months fixed term contract with the option of:
- Possible renewal, or
- Outsourcing to a third-party supplier.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd November, 2020.