iMMAP is an international non-governmental organization that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Secondary Data Officer – COVID Response
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full Time
- An outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a new coronavirus started in China in December 2019 and has now been detected in most countries. The virus is named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and the disease associated with it is named COVID-19.
- The epidemic was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020 and characterized by the WHO Director-General as a pandemic on 11 March 2020. As more governmental measures are adopted to reduce pressure on health services and public health risks, the impact of the pandemic is being felt by all humanitarian organisations whose staff is mostly confined at home. Non-essential field movements have all been cancelled. Needs assessments are being cancelled and regular monitoring systems interrupted. For the months to come, access to structured information in humanitarian contexts will become the exception, and most decisions will be made on the basis of remote techniques, secondary data, social media, expert judgement or journalism.
- The impact of movement limitations will be felt at each step of the assessment and analysis cycle. This project will support a global project involving 6 countries. This position will support the response in Nigeria and coordinate with the other countries of implementation other than with the DEEP (thedeep.io) team and Global Analysis Cell. The position is supervised by the Senior IMO.
- In close collaboration with the Senior IMO: The Secondary Data Officer will proactively gather information from sector partners, government authorities which may be of use to the sector for informing decisions;
- The Secondary Data Officer will identify gaps in current implementing partner participants and will engage with NGOs, humanitarian and development organisations to restore renew or join participation in data sharing or IM support.
- The Secondary Data Officer will identify barriers for information collection, collation, analysis and sharing.
- The Secondary Data Officer will ensure timely preparation and generation of information products, and support information sharing and dissemination through web platforms to all relevant humanitarian implementing partners.
- Record, document and share coordination meeting minutes
- Maintain databases, provide data entry if required
- Establish and maintain filing and documentation system accessible for humanitarian partners working in the area
- Participate in, and coordinate with, the secondary data analysis tagging team, and ensure the information is captured correctly
- The Secondary Data Officer will adopt appropriate existing IM tools including that available in-country (including from other sectors) and global level. As appropriate, design of data collection forms, ensuring that the purpose and use of all data collected is clear, collectable and easily collectable, highlighting where potential problems might arise; organise and manage the data input and initial analysis and presentation of data for the sector;
- The Secondary Data Officer will develop standard formats for, and regular output of publication of materials and statistics highlighting the humanitarian situation in-country upon request.
- Secondary Data Officer will collect and consolidate data from various partners, prepare and submit reports on regular bases
- Map assistance coverage in a specified area, analyse and report the potential gaps
- Produce, share maps illustrating scale/coverage of assistance
Mapping – Specific:
- The Secondary Data Officer will develop maps of 4Ws, sector resources, needs, Gaps per location;
- The Secondary Data Officer will attend periodic information management meetings with the iMMAP IMO team also share updates on ongoing IM products and activities and promote good practices in the organisation.
- Advanced degree in the field of information management; data analysis or equivalent
- Three years of relevant work experience.
- Advanced knowledge of humanitarian architecture and experience in working on multi-sector assessments
- A high level of proficiency in English language skills is required.
- Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills
- Knowledge of working with the DEEP platform (https://www.thedeep.io/) is an advantage
- Excellent writing and secondary data analysis skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs, and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
- iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation, and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse, and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
- iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.
- Disclaimer: Note that due to the urgency of this position, the application will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may be filled before the recruitment closing date
Application Deadline 9th May, 2021.