CBM Global Disability Inclusion works alongside people with disabilities in the world’s poorest places to fight poverty and exclusion and transform lives. Drawing on over 100 years’ experience, we work with the most marginalised in society to break the cycle of poverty and disability and build inclusive communities where everyone can enjoy their human rights and fulfil their full potential.
We work in over 20 countries, investing in long-term, authentic partnership with the Disability Movement and maximising our impact through a coordinated mix of inclusive community-based programmes, local to global advocacy and delivering inclusion advice to other organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Advisor, Global Team, Inclusion Advisory Group
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports to: Director, Inclusion Advisory Group.
- The job holder is a member of the IAG Global team, and will accordingly contribute at a high level to the development and implementation of the Inclusion Advisory Group (IAG) strategy and operations.
- The CBM Global IAG exists to support others to put inclusion into practice. We partner with the disability movement to influence humanitarian and development organisations, institutions and systems to realise the rights of persons with disabilities. This is done through a tailored combination of technical assistance (TA) on policies and programmes, change facilitation, capacity strengthening and evidence of what works.
- As a member of the IAG Global team, the job holder will contribute to ensuring the IAG program is of sound quality, growing in line with CBM Global’s approach, appropriately resourced and promoted both internally and externally. This will be done through a combination of activities aimed at:
- Developing and enabling the IAG network as well as individual local Inclusion Advisory Group teams and:
- Providing quality, tailored technical advice to development and humanitarian stakeholders at the global level (e.g., UN entities, donors, international NGOs).
- Our current work plan and opportunities, means that we are particularly keen on humanitarian and capacity development experience.
- While the advisor is expected to work relatively independently, she/he will work collaboratively with the IAG Global team, with other IAG colleagues in country offices and member associations and with other partners and associates outside of CBM Global.
- The job holder is expected to demonstrate initiative, to develop and maintain partnerships with IAG clients and delivery partners, and to coach development partners and IAG advisors in the delivery of quality inclusion advice.
- We are ideally looking for a candidate who can work easily around a Central European Time zone to meet some growing opportunities and demand in Europe, therefore we welcome applications from those who have the right to work and live in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium or Germany, Nigeria, Kenya, Burkina Faso and Madagascar.
- Working from home within these countries is welcomed. We do not offer an expatriate contract for this role.
- The role is full time. The global nature of the role means working some flexible hours to accommodate meetings with colleagues and IAG clients in various time zones.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Contribute to the cohesive running of the IAG global team and IAG programme through clear communication around individual work plans and commitments, involvement in regular team meetings, and contribution to monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- Monitor and analyse advisory context, opportunities and resource needs to feed into IAG strategy, decision making and implementation. This includes providing technical input into proposals, investment concepts, etc.
- Provide quality inclusion advice to humanitarian and development partners, including advice on policy, programming, research and evidence and/or capacity development at national, regional and international levels.
- Represent IAG at meetings, conferences and other events, in agreement with manager.
- Model and promote inclusive approaches in day to day work, aligned with CBM Global’s commitment to authentic partnership with people with disabilities and their representative organisations.
- Directly support the development of local IAG teams through a combination of facilitating strategy development (including on humanitarian and preparedness strategies) and work planning, providing technical assistance for appraising and pursuing new advisory opportunities, linking to or designing relevant resources, and supporting then development of local IAG staff and associates.
- Develop resources including, but not limited to, internal resources to support IAG growth (e.g., guidance notes, communications), and externally available resources (e.g., publications, training materials, etc. from within contracts, arising from IAG ME&L, etc., particularly focused on humanitarian contexts and clients).
- Actively participating in IAG’s capacity development and quality processes including reviewing, and having work reviewed by colleagues and associates, designing and facilitating workshops, webinars, etc.
- Liaise closely with CBM Global Humanitarian team and the Emergency response Unit, and support preparedness and humanitarian strategy development and capacity development as relevant.
Key Outcomes Expected from this Role
- Develop strong and respected partnerships for Inclusion advisory work:
- Internally – within the CBM Global (e.g. with advocacy and humanitarian teams) and across CBM Global’s three levers of change (advocacy, advisory and field programs)
- Externally – with potential and current IAG clients and other implementing partners including Organisations of Persons with Disabilities and other IAG associate advisors.
- Contribute to cohesive and relevant strategy, business plan development and implementation for IAG. This includes for the IAG as a whole, global team and selected IAG markets for which the person is the global focal point.
- Contribute to wider CBM Global strategy and operations in agreement with manager.
- Progress the learning and development IAG advisors through a combination of resource development, coaching, peer reviews, and other capacity development initiatives.
- Implement and support the delivery of high quality technical advice to IAG clients, particularly with a humanitarian focus.
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluation and learning in relation to IAG.
- Contribute to growing the profile and reputation of IAG to support growth.
What you will bring to the role:
- All of the following requirements will be assessed from a combination of information provided from the application form and interview process.
- CBM Global welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and people with lived experience of disability.
- Academic or extensive applied background in Humanitarian and/or Development Studies, Disability Studies, Social Science or other relevant qualifications.
- Post graduate qualifications in the above is an advantage but not essential.
- Proven experience in an advisor role on policy, program and/or capacity development to governments and/or multilateral organisations.
- Applied experience of inclusive policy/programming/practice in humanitarian and/or one or more development sectors (e.g., education, livelihood and social protection, health, WASH, governance, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience and networks in disability or other typically excluded groups including knowledge of and contribution to the realisation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities or a similar human rights instrument.
- Demonstrated experience in different forms of capacity development and facilitation, ideally including curriculum design. Experience from humanitarian contexts is an added value.
- Experience of working with people with disabilities and/or their representative organisations in advisory work, or in other humanitarian or development contexts, or experience practicing and promoting inclusion for other typically excluded groups.
- We are particularly interested to hear from you if you have humanitarian experience, networks and knowledge of relevant frameworks and humanitarian architecture at a variety of levels given a growing portfolio of work in this space.
- Experience in organisational development and/or experience working in s start up or organisational scale up is welcomed.
- Demonstrated experience in different aspects of accessibility is an advantage.
Skills / Competencies / Personal Qualities
- Demonstrated capability in strategic thinking and supporting strategy development.
- High level of proficiency in English (both written and spoken, suitable for government and inter-government fora).
- Ability to work in a multilingual and culturally diverse environment with strong cross-cultural communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain networks, build partnerships and alliances, and influence the policy and practice of individuals and organisations. The candidate will have the ability to travel internationally where required, including humanitarian contexts.
- A strong proficiency in another language (especially French, Spanish or Arabic, or international or national sign language or any other national language) is an advantage.
- Lived experience of disability.
- The salary offered will be competitive, and determined based on skills and experience, as well as country of location. We offer a local contract.
- We offer flexible working options depending on location and choice, including office, hybrid and working from home options.
- As part of its commitment to its work with people with disabilities, CBM Global aims to successfully employ and retain people with disabilities and welcomes people with diverse backgrounds. We have a comprehensive equality and diversity policy.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download, fill and send the completed Application Form along with their Curriculum Vitae (no more than two pages) to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
To apply for this role as a permanent employee:
- You must have the right to work and live in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium or Germany, Nigeria, Kenya, Burkina Faso and Madagascar. Working from home within these countries is welcomed. We do not offer an expatriate contract for this role.
- Please download and complete the Application Form from the advert using the link above. There is space on the Application Form to include a cover letter, so there is no need to provide a separate letter. Please make sure that you provide specific examples where you meet the essential criteria outlined in the Person Specification, either here or on your CV.
- In the subject header of your email it would be helpful if you could add the role title for which you are applying; “Permanent; Senior Advisor IAG”.
- Informal enquiries are also welcome to the above email address.
To express your interest in working with CBM Global’s Inclusion Advisory Group in other ways, including as a consultant:
- Please email your Curriculum Vitae with a cover letter, addressing your interest in joining the team on a consultancy basis
- In the subject header of your email, please would you add the role title for
- which you are applying; “Consultant; Senior Advisor IAG”.
Shortlisting and Interviews”
- CBM Global is an equal opportunities employer, committed to ensuring all applications are treated fairly.
- All applications are subject to our shortlisting process; if you are shortlisted we will contact you and invite you to attend an online interview. You will also be advised at this point if there will be any skills tasks to complete as part of the recruitment process.
Diversity Policy Statement
- Our workplace promotes an inclusive and accessible environment that supports all staff to thrive, with provision of reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities where needed.
- We believe that the success of any organisation depends upon its people and their diverse abilities, skills, languages, cultures, and backgrounds. The greater diversity in the staffing of people with different lived experiences helps promote innovation, creativity, and smarter solutions to the constantly changing environments in which we work.
Application Deadline 26th May, 2021