ICAP is a global health leader situated at Columbia University, ICAP has worked since 2003 with one central goal: to improve the health of families and communities.
We are recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Advisor
Job No: 496364
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work type: Regular Full-Time
Categories: Program Management / Implementation / Support
Reports To: Technical Director
- Working under the guidance and direction of the Country Director in Nigeria, the Senior Laboratory Advisor will oversee the laboratory component of the Covid-19 project in Nigeria.
- The overall program objective is to support Nigeria in rapidly expanding comprehensive Covid-19 services, mitigate Covid 19 impact on HIV/AIDS services, and reduce Covid-related morbidity and mortality in Nigeria.
- The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing laboratory systems, strengthening laboratory activities as well quality management support to implementing partners.
- He will also oversee and provide capacity-building support at the National and State level while directing the implementation of state-level performance management systems.
- Provide leadership in defining the vision of the strategic direction for laboratory services.
- Oversee the laboratory component of the covid-19 project in Nigeria working closely with the in-country laboratory organizations and with the Federal and State Ministries of Health
- Provide on-going technical direction with a goal of meeting assigned program targets and optimizing Laboratory Services.
- Provide high-quality technical assistance to improve the availability, use, and quality of diagnostics and implement quality laboratory systems required to facilitate the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of HIV, Covid-19
- Provide the laboratory related support required for capacity building for the Ministry of Health and other stakeholders to maintain and strengthen the HIV surveillance system
- Facilitate and coordinate the implementation of quality assurance programs and QA/QC procedures for HIV/covid-19 services, including diagnosis of HIV /covid-19 and Viral Load testing.
- Support skill building of in-country laboratory personnel to manage and lead data collection and analysis, including training on serologic, immunologic and molecular tests for HIV, as well as testing for comorbidities
- Develop and participate in designing innovative strategies for delivering needs-based capacity building, mentorship, and training-of-trainers programs for laboratory staff
- Facilitate and support the use of emerging and appropriate technology for laboratory activities
- Assist the team to develop strategies to ensure timely reporting of results; Review weekly laboratory reports and prepare regular progress reports
- Support the development and/or refinement and implementation of laboratory-related policies, strategic plans, guidelines, manuals, standard operating procedures (SOPs), training materials, quality management systems, referral testing systems, and data management systems, to strengthen and enhance laboratory systems infrastructure.
- Provide oversight and TA in strengthening laboratory systems, viral load scale up activities and facilitate systems to ensure that laboratory samples are correctly collected, processed, and transported and that results are returned in a timely manner.
- Ensure laboratory specimen data are correctly captured, assist with routine laboratory data analysis and interpretation of laboratory results for the covid-19 project and provide feedback on ways to improve/streamline laboratory procedures and systems.
- Support the procurement of equipment and consumables by contributing to bids quantification, documentation of solicitation for bids, procurement review and analysis and verification of supplies; in line with procurement policies and best practices.
- Stay up-to-date and serve as a repository on new information and knowledge in Laboratory Services, driving the introduction and implementation of innovative strategies and operational research.
- Routinely attend and provide technical leadership in program meetings, executing resolutions within her/his purview as appropriate.
- Develop project work plans, monitor progress towards program objectives and timelines, including regular reporting to and communication with donor and implementing partners.
- Collate, analyzeand report on outcome level data to help determine the project’s impact.
- Liaise with Federal and State Ministry of Health officials and other stakeholders in coordinating HIV/covid-19 care and treatment programming through technical working groups, review meetings and conferences in line with Covid-19 work plan.
- Document project training and technical assistance activities and contribute to the production and dissemination of technical reports, guides, manuals, success stories, and other printed resources and toolkits.
- Any other relevant duty tasks relating to Laboratory Services as assigned by the country Director
- PhD or M.Sc in Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or its equivalent.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- At least five years’ experience in providing technical assistance in PEPFAR funded laboratory services and laboratory management with specific focus on HIV, HIV-related field, or virology
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in laboratory management, quality assurance, quality control, biosafety, document development, specimen management and use of electronic information systems within a laboratory context
- Knowledge/experience of procurement procedures and equipment/supply/stock tracking and inventory
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel
- Excellent interpersonal, management, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English and oversee the development of comprehensive program reports
- Familiarity with and experience in implementing comprehensive local and national laboratory systems and services, quality assurance and accreditation systems, including the ISO 15189 accreditation standards and SLMTA/SLIPTA accreditation process
- Experience with lab-related data management systems
- Travel to project locations in Nigeria conducting site monitoring visits, capacity building, and stakeholder relationship management activities to support laboratory services.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The position is contingent upon availability of grant funding.
- Columbia University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. It does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, gender, religion, creed, national and ethnic origin, age, citizenship, status as a perceived or actual victim of domestic violence, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, status as a Vietnam era or disabled veteran, or any other legally protected status
Application Deadline 10th June, 2022 W. Central Africa Standard Time.