The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Travel Officer, AfCFTA
Requisition ID: 1187
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Senior Travel Officer
Directorate / Department: Administration and Human Resources Management
Division: Administration and Human resources management Division
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Support to the development and deliver a range of travel related activities within the AfCFTA Secretariat and ensure compliance with Travel policy.
- Assist on the following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan;
- Assist in engagement with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop relationships as may be delegated;
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets;
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide support in implementation of programs, policies and procedures within the division;
- Assist in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use;
- Provide support to senior officers in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area;
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders;
- Provide support on the administration of all official Mission and entitlement travel requests and processing of shipment requests
- Review travel claims and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, validity and conformity with United Nations rules prior to approval and certification
- Coordinate with the Finance Section, regarding reimbursement of travel, which took place after the financial period was completed
- Ensure that the established Invitation to Bid (ITB) system is complied with and that airline tickets are purchased at the most competitive market prices
- Advice substantive sections/offices, and other relevant staff of arrival information
- Adhere to the African Union Travel Policy and advise on any improvements.
- Reconcile travel expenses and manage debit card operations.
- Assist in negotiation of travel service provider’s contracts on behalf of AU with travel service providers and ensure compliance
- Lead the training strategy, skill development and performance assessment of the Travel Procurement Assistant under his/her supervision
- Plan, advise and provide information and reports for management decisions.
- Ensure timely and regularly reporting of Travel data;
- Ensure service excellence of the Travel section for the customer service and satisfaction for stakeholders
- Supervise the work of Travel Assistants for accuracy and correct application of the relevant rules and regulations
- Closely liaise with Certifying Officers (TSA), Travel Shipment Processors (TPO), and Travel Claim Processors (TCP)
- Prepare and coordinate amendments to existing obligations as and when required, ensuring validity of budget allotment and cost centers assigned
- Compile data and information and prepare travel related reports for various clients groups on regular basis
- Coordinate with the appropriate office for clarification or additional information and meet with officials from relevant substantive units/divisions in order to discuss the details of particular claims and to explain the nature of problems, delays and backlogs when occurred;
- Assist in the management of the recruitment, on boarding and administration of Travel Management Company
- Make recommendation for service enhancements and initiate process, procedures and policy improvements.
- Develop and maintain content for travel’s Communications App.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation, Logistics, Tourism Administration, Fleet management or related hospitality fields of study with 2 Years relevant experience
- IATA Diploma or formal academic training or education on passengers’ air travel is desirable
- Certificate in Amadeus Reservation System is an added advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work across business units / geographies; cultural sensitivity
- Proficiency in one of the AU officials working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic, Kiswahili or Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to successfully manage ambiguity
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous improvement focus.
Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 25,523.00 (P1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 18,547.20 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 6th June, 2022.